• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

spodman

We went 13 games without a win, picking up only 3 points in that time. We've now taken 20 points from our last 11 games and took 16 from our first 8 which means we've had promotion form for nearly half a season to go with beyond woeful for the rest of it.

If we settle into fairly mid-table form (4 points every three games) for the rest of the season then my faith will have been restored in the manager. If we have another poor run akin to this season and the end of the last one, then serious questions will remain.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m puzzled.

If Caldwell is responsible now for the recent run of form, then surely he was also responsible for the catastrophic October/November/ December form.

Is anyone watching actually happy with the way we are playing ?
Ooh another one Alfie? Are you going to have a username for each of our former managers?

Grecian_in_Plymouth

You didn’t go to Barnsley then? First half was one of the best displays I’ve seen from City in my 44 years of following.
Agreed , we were immense and it will live long in the memory , as will the celebration at the end with the players - very much a connection between fans and players and staff .

noel_blake

Ooh another one Alfie? Are you going to have a username for each of our former managers?
I don’t know who Alfie is. But it looks like there are more ‘Caldwell outs’ than you thought

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gary telling it straight
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68273712

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Straight? Really?

"We were really depleted..."

Yes, we were.

"We had to keep.... finding ways to adapt, to change..."

Except you didn't.

"...and to find ways to win football matches."

Except we didn't. For over 100 days.

Now we're not so depleted, we are winning games. So that's to his credit. But he can't re-write history.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Straight? Really?
I was referring to him essentially thanking the board for them standing by him

berniesworld

You cant judge that till the end of the season
Well said……..our ship is only turning slowly at the moment.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, he should 100% have been sacked before Christmas. We would then have been so much better off than where we are now.

There were loads of high quality managers either out of work or willing to leave their clubs in mid season to come to Exeter. They would have inherited a squad, not one thankful that a manager they couldn't stand had been sacked, but one which had been working hard trying to play through a rough patch and which had faith in what their ex boss had been trying to achieve.

Clearly, in such a situation, results would have improved almost immediately and the board would be congratulated for making a difficult but necessary decision. The play offs would have been beckoning and all would be well.

Alternatively.....

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, he should 100% have been sacked before Christmas. We would then have been so much better off than where we are now.

There were loads of high quality managers either out of work or willing to leave their clubs in mid season to come to Exeter. They would have inherited a squad, not one thankful that a manager they couldn't stand had been sacked, but one which had been working hard trying to play through a rough patch and which had faith in what their ex boss had been trying to achieve.

Clearly, in such a situation, results would have improved almost immediately and the board would be congratulated for making a difficult but necessary decision. The play offs would have been beckoning and all would be well.

Alternatively.....
Frankly, Art, that’s vomit inducing happy clap trap.

The run of results, and performances, were horrific. It wasn’t like we were unlucky for a hundred days. I’m more than happy that Gary has turned the tanker around, and is heading away from the Red Sea, for the record.

If what you said also applied to politics, I should say that the Tories have just been very unlucky, and that we should give them a chance to show that they’re the future…

No, thought not. 🤮