• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well said……..our ship is only turning slowly at the moment.
Like a "League 1 Oil Tanker" one might say?

denzel

Mmm, the headline suggests that GC is having a go at the fans, which he isn't. Clickbait from the BBC, of all places..

Grecian Max

Yes, he should 100% have been sacked before Christmas. We would then have been so much better off than where we are now.

There were loads of high quality managers either out of work or willing to leave their clubs in mid season to come to Exeter. They would have inherited a squad, not one thankful that a manager they couldn't stand had been sacked, but one which had been working hard trying to play through a rough patch and which had faith in what their ex boss had been trying to achieve.

Clearly, in such a situation, results would have improved almost immediately and the board would be congratulated for making a difficult but necessary decision. The play offs would have been beckoning and all would be well.

Alternatively.....
Making it seem like we're now world beaters 😂

We have a goal difference of -18, having scored 25 goals all season

The uptick in results and performance levels have been good - can't say I'm convinced this football is for the long term and he doesn't feel like a City manager to me but it is also fair to say the board have been rewarded for their patience

I still would have preferred us to go for less of a manager off the merry-go-round and more of an up and coming coach, that'll be for next time. So the middle bit was never my argument anyway as there would be good coaches out there, in the Prem academies etc all year round.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mmm, the headline suggests that GC is having a go at the fans, which he isn't. Clickbait from the BBC, of all places..
Headline seems reasonable enough to me.
Gary Caldwell: Exeter City boss praises club for 'standing firm' during form slump

denzel

Headline seems reasonable enough to me.
The bit below the headline

arthur

Frankly, Art, that’s vomit inducing happy clap trap.

The run of results, and performances, were horrific. It wasn’t like we were unlucky for a hundred days. I’m more than happy that Gary has turned the tanker around, and is heading away from the Red Sea, for the record.

If what you said also applied to politics, I should say that the Tories have just been very unlucky, and that we should give them a chance to show that they’re the future…

No, thought not. 🤮
Are you really suggesting that in late November we'd have found a competent manager who would have transformed our fortunes? And presumably, you'd have wanted them to completely change the tactics and playing style - how long would that have taken to bear fruit? I very much doubt we'd have 39 points by now - we'd be deep in the relegation mire.

As we might have been had GC not turned the tanker round. In which case he would have been let go at the end of the season or earlier if someone credible had been lined up by then. But no-one was likely to be lined up to take over in November/December- that's my point. Sacking him would simply have made a bad situation worse..

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tend to agree with Art. By my reckoning, at least seven of the clubs below us in the League One table have sacked their manager this season – some more than once – to no great effect.

As an aside, scientifically, the 'new manager bounce' isn't a thing. Read a fascinating piece in the Racing Post a few years ago which detailed how, statistically, the overwhelming majority of clubs who appoint a new manager mid-season perform below expectations over the next few months.

Can't find the article I read, but this is in much the same vein:

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Are you really suggesting that in late November we'd have found a competent manager who would have transformed our fortunes?
Cheltenham did. Perhaps they're better than us, or more of draw to higher quality managers. 🙄

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cheltenham did. Perhaps they're better than us, or more of draw to higher quality managers.
Their upturn has been objectively less impressive than ours

Pobbop

Tend to agree with Art. By my reckoning, at least seven of the clubs below us in the League One table have sacked their manager this season – some more than once – to no great effect.

As an aside, scientifically, the 'new manager bounce' isn't a thing. Read a fascinating piece in the Racing Post a few years ago which detailed how, statistically, the overwhelming majority of clubs who appoint a new manager mid-season perform below expectations over the next few months.

Can't find the article I read, but this is in much the same vein:
Well I was saying this about new managers a few pages back, look if you can bring in a big name who's done it before fair enough, but who are they, most are in retirement or in a job, as much as I hate him I'd have probably taken Steve Evans before Xmas because of his record, but he's happy at SDtevenage, who else, Phil darned Brown