• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sacking Caldwell would have set us back ten years. Probably would have got Kev Nicholson in until that fell apart. Some failure would eventually have been elected, the fan base would still be divided, we'd be in league 2 next season. The Trust would be declared weak and ineffective, City would go back to being a bottom end league team.
Oooh, front line of Ollie Watkins and Jamie Reid. Matt Grimes pulling the strings. Wheeler out wide. Don't threaten us with a good time.

AndyR

I still would have preferred us to go for less of a manager off the merry-go-round and more of an up and coming coach, that'll be for next time. So the middle bit was never my argument anyway as there would be good coaches out there, in the Prem academies etc all year round.
Crikey when you get to my age, 41 (Gary Caldwell's age) does seem "up and coming" :LOL: Better email Matt Taylor and tell him he's past it.....

Bridgy 81

Yes we're doing OK. Doing OK is a lot more enjoyable than doing REALLY badly. But it's not great.
I agree with you, until the last bit.
I think this is great.
Mid-table and looking upwards in the third tier - that’s the business as far as I’m (and history) is concerned.
But there’s no reason why (within reason) we can’t hope for more.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
In your opinion. There’s not a single fact in any of that.
Absolute tosh, I've been into the future and can verify everything.

denzel

"We were really depleted and had to dig in as a football club, and that includes the board, staff and players sticking together,"

Pointedly omitted the fans.

The issue for me is … when the board, staff and players are all clearly pulling together to get us out of a rut, and it was clear, what makes some ‘supporters’ think they know better ? It’s arrogance !
Easy to say in hindsight, but there did appear to be occasions when the players weren't pulling together. In the dark days of November it looked like a few of them didn't want to be here, maybe Scott never did, and Aimson had that stupid sending off; not sure that Hartridge and Kite are fully committed even now.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
The issue for me is … when the board, staff and players are all clearly pulling together to get us out of a rut, and it was clear, what makes some ‘supporters’ think they know better ? It’s arrogance !
You want to bin the trust model then?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree with you, until the last bit.
I think this is great.
Mid-table and looking upwards in the third tier - that’s the business as far as I’m (and history) is concerned.
But there’s no reason why (within reason) we can’t hope for more.
You are right imo although I accept expectations are subjective. History of course isn't subjective in terms of where we have largely played our football. Apart from our first promotion to the third tier I have watched our club in every other season try to compete in the third division. My overwhelming feeling when watching us play in L1 was almost that we were unequal partners struggling to keep our heads afloat. However, at Barnsley, Bristol Rovers and at Wigan it has felt like we have turned a corner. Yes it's a small fragment to base my view on but I feel we are now at least competing as equals. Baby steps I accept but for us to be a truly sustainable league one club we also need a manager who knows how to compete at this level and in Caldwell I think we can. I accept my view wont align with a number on here but my gut feel is that yes we can hope for more

Average Joe

You want to bin the trust model then?
Wow! What a question.

I absolutely love our trust, and the way its kept our club in shape so us fans can enjoy watching league football, I'll forever be appreciative and I'll ensure my children also appreciate our trust.

But I do think it's time to look for an investor/owner. This will allow more backing.

STURTZ

Wow! What a question.

I absolutely love our trust, and the way its kept our club in shape so us fans can enjoy watching league football, I'll forever be appreciative and I'll ensure my children also appreciate our trust.

But I do think it's time to look for an investor/owner. This will allow more backing.
Here we go again!😖

Sacking Caldwell would have set us back ten years. Probably would have got Kev Nicholson in until that fell apart. Some failure would eventually have been elected, the fan base would still be divided, we'd be in league 2 next season. The Trust would be declared weak and ineffective, City would go back to being a bottom end league team.
There is one huge down side…it means we will Never ever, ever Sack a manager ever again now so results for a manager e.g after Caldwell are effectively irrelevant from now on ….which actually to me makes it look weak.