• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Banning order for racially aggravated abuse

Devon_Lad

Rae's friends are probably poets or **** like that, she needs to get down wiv da kids and hang around wiv da west side massif. Real talk.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I heard the N word used while watching "The Shining" the other night but Jack Torrance's reference to his wife Wendy as "the old sperm bank" had been deleted.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Indeed, D_L, they're all pesky poets with attitude ... :)

STURTZ

American "people of colour" use the term amongst themselves or in songs in an ironic way, a constant reference to their years of repression, not a word to be used by white people at any time.

StroudGrecian

What about Oliver's Army? Acceptable?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes. Context again. The song was written in the 1970s, is about Northern Ireland, and is definitely not using the word in a pejorative sense against black people.

Antony Moxey

I noticed that The Dambusters had the name of Gibson's dog blanked out for a number of years when the film was on the telly, yet it appears now to be put back in. It certainly was when I saw the film earlier this year. The film was made in the fifties I think, and Gibson's dog was called N****r (he was a black labrador).

Not making a point about anything here, just an observation really.

grecIAN Harris

American "people of colour" use the term amongst themselves or in songs in an ironic way, a constant reference to their years of repression, not a word to be used by white people at any time.
But whilst they use it, it's still out in the main domain to be abused. I can't say as I've heard Pakistani's using their equivalent racist slang amongst themselves.

ECFC traveller

Dr Dre takes no offence when Eminem says it to him. All in the context.

fred binneys head

But whilst they use it, it's still out in the main domain to be abused. I can't say as I've heard Pakistani's using their equivalent racist slang amongst themselves.
Maybe it's a regional thing then, or maybe you've not met many Pakistanis, but I've definitely heard it used by them many times round here (Derby). I've seen quite a few pimped up cars too, with big stickers across the back saying "P*KI POWER".

For me it's definitely a context thing - black people have suffered decades of racial abuse, slavery and other, so non-black people using the N word is abhorrent (unless contextualised, as mentioned a few times above), but black people using it as a show of empowerment is fine by me.

Last edited: