• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Banning order for racially aggravated abuse

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
To an extent. But surely you would not say there is any context for example when it is ok for a white person to use the 'n' word??
I'd imagine there would be, for example a white solicitor quoting an offence to a court.

However, it is difficult to imagine any justification for a ****ed-up slob shouting it from the terraces.

ECFC traveller

To an extent. But surely you would not say there is any context for example when it is ok for a white person to use the 'n' word??
Americans use that word all the time - Both black and white Americans. They seem to have adopted the idea that if they use it enough in day to day talking with each other, and not in a negative way it loses its offense. Which to be honest, from all the videos I see on facebook of them just talking generally...It has worked. Was interesting when they were discussing it on 'Living with Steph and Dom' when Jerry Springer was there last week.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd imagine there would be, for example a white solicitor quoting an offence to a court.

However, it is difficult to imagine any justification for a ****ed-up slob shouting it from the terraces.
Even in reported speech most media (the Guardian is a notable exception) tend to use asterisks these days.

The difficulty is that's what's acceptable in one context and in one place is not in another, and this changes over time - e.g the word "spastic" was at one time used with pride by the then Spastics Society (now Scope), now it's totally unacceptable.

There is of course sometimes angst over [some] black people especially rappers using the "n-word" then criticising white people for doing so. The godfather of rap, Gil Scott-Heron (whose father was the first black footballer to play for Celtic...) used the word unashamedly, but I guess he had the right. Context, and intent, again.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Americans use that word all the time - Both black and white Americans. They seem to have adopted the idea that if they use it enough in day to day talking with each other, and not in a negative way it loses its offense. Which to be honest, from all the videos I see on facebook of them just talking generally...It has worked. Was interesting when they were discussing it on 'Living with Steph and Dom' when Jerry Springer was there last week.
Erm, no it hasn't. Whilst that word may be bandied around with ignorance by some, the black Americans I know will remove your head from your shoulders if you use it in their general direction. Irrespective of what colour your skin happened to be before your body decomposed. Most do not like or support it's use in any form of misguided re-appropriation. And, lest you think it's a generational thing, the friends in question span four generations from 80 down to 18.

ECFC traveller

Erm, no it hasn't. Whilst that word may be bandied around with ignorance by some, the black Americans I know will remove your head from your shoulders if you use it in their general direction. Irrespective of what colour your skin happened to be before your body decomposed. Most do not like or support it's use in any form of misguided re-appropriation. And, lest you think it's a generational thing, the friends in question span four generations from 80 down to 18.
Odd, nearly every American I know uses it. Not as an insult, just as like 'what's up my...' To their friends. And I see it all the time on YouTube videos.

I'm not saying it's right, I'd never use it. But from what I see it's very commonly used in the states.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Probably not odd at all. Just illustrative of the gulf between a fantasy life on social media and the real world.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I know quite a few Americans (having lived there myself for a year a while back) and none of them would dream of using the word.

ECFC traveller

Probably not odd at all. Just illustrative of the gulf between a fantasy life on social media and the real world.
Going to have to agree to disagree - I could probably find you about 500 Youtube videos from all ethnic backgrounds in America using it, and I could also give you a list of rappers who use it who have been 'VOTED' in the charts, even with the word in the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSrTnWDTdwI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=darmdX3EK3M - Debate on CNN. Well worth a watch.

ECFC traveller

I know quite a few Americans (having lived there myself for a year a while back) and none of them would dream of using the word.
I suppose you wouldn't see a normal working class family using it in day to day talk. But then you wouldn't hear those sort of people say 'geeza' and things either. It's used in the same context from what I can gather. It's entirely about context, i'm not saying it's used in a venomous way in the states. 'It's just like hey how you doin my .... ' to there mates.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I rest my case.