• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Banning order for racially aggravated abuse

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lets be honest fbh, how many people of ethnic decent do you see anywhere west of Brizzol? They are few and far between. You probably get more in one estate in Derby than you would in the entirity of Exeter, Plymouth and Torbay put together.

fred binneys head

Yeah, you might be right - the midlands as a whole is pretty cosmopolitan - Derby, Leicester, Birmingham, Coventry - all have significant numbers of ethnic minorities. I like it, makes life more interesting.

grecIAN Harris

Yeah, you might be right - the midlands as a whole is pretty cosmopolitan - Derby, Leicester, Birmingham, Coventry - all have significant numbers of ethnic minorities. I like it, makes life more interesting.
You could always play 'spot the white man' on a trip to Leicester.

Silver fox

You could always play 'spot the white man' on a trip to Leicester.
Bang out of order.

fred binneys head

I don't think Ian was meaning to be out of order there foxy, just agreeing that when he went to Leicester he saw a lot of ethnic minority communities. Granted it was a pretty clumsy comment but I don't think there was any intent to upset anyone there. Ian can confirm though I guess.

manc grecian

A classic example of what we've been talking about in this thread.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Maybe it's a regional thing then, or maybe you've not met many Pakistanis, but I've definitely heard it used by them many times round here (Derby). I've seen quite a few pimped up cars too, with big stickers across the back saying "P*KI POWER".

For me it's definitely a context thing - black people have suffered decades of racial abuse, slavery and other, so non-black people using the N word is abhorrent (unless contextualised, as mentioned a few times above), but black people using it as a show of empowerment is fine by me.
Why bring up the old slavery thing in this thread ? That pretty much ended in the early 1800's don't think there are any real reasons to use this anymore and as far as racial abuse goes that can work both ways and usually does.

The words "honky" and "cracker" get used far more frequently to white people in viral videos and rap songs, do you see a person of white origin getting upset every 2 minutes ?

fred binneys head

I think it's relevant ramone, the N word has huge historical context which shouldn't be forgotten. It's one reason why black people get upset at its use more than white people do at words such as honky. Whites haven't been oppressed for decades, non-whites have - that is massively relevant. If you disagree then fair enough but I doubt we'll see eye to eye on this topic if so.

Fareham Grecian

Why bring up the old slavery thing in this thread ? That pretty much ended in the early 1800's don't think there are any real reasons to use this anymore and as far as racial abuse goes that can work both ways and usually does.

The words "honky" and "cracker" get used far more frequently to white people in viral videos and rap songs, do you see a person of white origin getting upset every 2 minutes ?
'A person of white origin'. Comedy genius.

You REALLY don't see the difference between black people using racist language to whites and vice versa? My prediction is that FBH may rest his case again.

grecIAN Harris

I don't think Ian was meaning to be out of order there foxy, just agreeing that when he went to Leicester he saw a lot of ethnic minority communities. Granted it was a pretty clumsy comment but I don't think there was any intent to upset anyone there. Ian can confirm though I guess.
Exactly. I remember watching my Dad play football in various places around Leicester where the community was almost exclusively ethnic. Highfield, iirc, springs to mind to it's virtually black community.