• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Banning order for racially aggravated abuse

Fareham Grecian

Just by doing what you've done - listening to people, treating their views with respect and then changing the words you use.
Very polite fbh. I would put it more basically: pay attention and make a bloody effort!

MagzECFC

Such an imformative thread. Sticky? :D

tonykellowfan

Plenty of people still use "coloured". Why is that offensive?

Isn't there a big organistion in the US called something like "Society for the Advancement of Coloured People"?

Fareham Grecian

Plenty of people still use "coloured". Why is that offensive?

Isn't there a big organistion in the US called something like "Society for the Advancement of Coloured People"?
It's offensive because most BAME people find it offensive, and that should be enough.

It was the official term of apartheid South Africa and the segregated south of the USA so carries connotations of inferiority.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
When I moved down here over a decade ago I was shocked people still used it and still do today.

Stuck in a bit of a time warp when it comes to race relations.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
In America the term 'African American' was commonly used but that is now outdated as well. I think someone once referred to Whoopi Goldberg as 'African American' and she said something along the lines of "Im not African American, I'm American, I was born in America to American parents"

Can kind of see her point. Manc is correct in what he says though. South of Bristol people seem to be a bit behind when it comes to race relations. Possibly because there are less black and mixed race people living in this part of the country.

When I moved down here over a decade ago I was shocked people still used it and still do today.

It's the same mind-set that leads to a few of our more moronic fans screeching anti-traveller/gypsy abuse at a player with hair longer than a buzz-cut.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

I've never used "coloured", but I have used "half-caste" as recently as a few years ago when reporting a crime to the police.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Surely how you say something is as important as the words used? You need that context imo.

Fareham Grecian

Surely how you say something is as important as the words used? You need that context imo.
To an extent. But surely you would not say there is any context for example when it is ok for a white person to use the 'n' word??