• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

‘Her Game Too’ Exeter City v Newport County Matchday Thread

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can only go by what I saw with the goals. I was sat right behind three of them. The first one from Robbie Willmott probably looks worse than what it was because of the pace of the shot but it was right in the corner by the post. Dawson couldn't get across in time. The second Dawson was right behind when the ball was about 5/6 yards from him and then dipped sharply down to his right and he couldn't react in time, going in off the underside of his hand/arm in the end. He will still be disappointed by it, as he clearly was, as no goalkeeper likes to be done at his near post like that.

Nombe's goal was probably a yard or so wide when it left his right foot and it just curled in towards the post and in beautifully.

I thought we were played around like dustbins for the first 10 minutes or so, not quick enough to the ball. Then we started to get a foot in and get on the ball a bit. We still look most dangerous when we turn the ball over high and go with the pace we have in abundance. But when we have to build play, we need to move the ball quicker, there are too many touches on the ball at times. Also we need more composure when we do get into dangerous areas to deliver that final ball.

We had a few run out of energy towards the end. Brown, MJ and Archie looked like they were out on their feet.
Taylor has very rarely if ever found a balance with a number of squads now and I think he was tactically outdone again today with a much less talented squad.
I'm in full agreement.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can't say as I saw a deflection on MJ's although it might explain why Day seemed to have sold himself so badly. I just thought MJ had nutmegged the defender and for some reason that completely threw Day.
I didn't see a deflection either. It just seemed a strange finish with Day committing himself to his right and MJ rolling the ball into the centre of the goal. Probably did go through the defender who had backed off to a criminal level allowing MJ to get into the area.

Banksy

That's wishful thinking
I was trying to be kind.😀

Rosencrantz

From where I was sitting in SASS the path to goal seemed to open up like the waters parting for the shot from Willmott that was directed into the corner of the net. I was not inclined to blame Dawson for that one but was in a minority with my neighbours.
Pretty indicative of our start to today's game. We didn't really get close to them. Watching the goals back online I can see why some thought Dawson to blame as it seemed to bounce in front of him and give the impression of going over his hand. Also being in the SASS and right behind the shot, it didn't, it was well placed into the corner and wide of Dawson's reach.

Don't think the sun comes into the second. Despite the late dip and movement on the shot, Cammy will still be disappointed to concede it.

Spot on Ray before Sweeney every time .

Bit harsh! Only been back watching since the Walsall game. Having watchall the plaudits for Ray on here, I was underwhelmed by his performance in that game. I then saw an accomplished performance by Pierce v Cheltenham in the PJT in central defence and again today, especially in the second half. I’m surprised more people haven’t picked up on that on here. He was composed and his distribution was good, something he”s normally criticised for. I thought he was one of our best players today. I for one am not surprised Ray was given a rest today.

Alistair20000

Pretty indicative of our start to today's game. We didn't really get close to them. Watching the goals back online I can see why some thought Dawson to blame as it seemed to bounce in front of him and give the impression of going over his hand. Also being in the SASS and right behind the shot, it didn't, it was well placed into the corner and wide of Dawson's reach.

Don't think the sun comes into the second. Despite the late dip and movement on the shot, Cammy will still be disappointed to concede it.
Willmott placed that first one really well into the corner, My view of it, right behind the shot, was very much of a free shot to the corner opening up almost from nowhere.

PeteUSA

I have to say it: Despite any apparent late dips, or movement on the shot, that goal is up there with one of the worst I've seen from a City keeper in a long time. Andresson let in a rough old goal all along the ground at the St James Road end last season, but I think this tops that. It was a speculative shot from the corner of the penalty area, man.

Red Bill

Dawson is a very good keeper, maybe the best we've had for some time, but today he had a mare! Can't quite believe people excusing those gaols. I was also right in line with the first and it certainly wasn't out of his reach, the ball went right over his hand. I wasn't even worried when the shot came in as I thought he had it covered. Maybe it hit the ground just in front of him taking it over his hand, but he had certainly got across to it. The second was just an absolute howler. I was also pretty much in line with that one and he really should have kept it out, in fact I couldn't work out how he'd made enough room to let it in. We all have bad days and today was one of Dawsons.

Rosencrantz

I have to say it: Despite any apparent late dips, or movement on the shot, that goal is up there with one of the worst I've seen from a City keeper in a long time. Andresson let in a rough old goal all along the ground at the St James Road end last season, but I think this tops that. It was a speculative shot from the corner of the penalty area, man.
It was a bit further out if anything. I have to say that if that's up there as the worse you have seen for a long time from a City keeper, it shows that we have actually had some decent stoppers between the sticks. He will be disappointed he didn't keep it out, but it wasn't a 24 carat howler that we have seen from a few opposition keepers in the last few years.

grecIAN Harris

So what did you make of Day getting done by Jay's backpass today or the Satanage keeper slapping Jay's heading in on his near post last week? Both surely up there (and above) with either of Dawson's mistakes today. Or that one Vigeroux dropped in last season when we stuffed Orient at home (now that really was a Grade A clanger)?

Reactions: WXF