• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

‘Her Game Too’ Exeter City v Newport County Matchday Thread

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can only go by what I saw with the goals. I was sat right behind three of them. The first one from Robbie Willmott probably looks worse than what it was because of the pace of the shot but it was right in the corner by the post. Dawson couldn't get across in time. The second Dawson was right behind when the ball was about 5/6 yards from him and then dipped sharply down to his right and he couldn't react in time, going in off the underside of his hand/arm in the end. He will still be disappointed by it, as he clearly was, as no goalkeeper likes to be done at his near post like that.

Nombe's goal was probably a yard or so wide when it left his right foot and it just curled in towards the post and in beautifully.

I thought we were played around like dustbins for the first 10 minutes or so, not quick enough to the ball. Then we started to get a foot in and get on the ball a bit. We still look most dangerous when we turn the ball over high and go with the pace we have in abundance. But when we have to build play, we need to move the ball quicker, there are too many touches on the ball at times. Also we need more composure when we do get into dangerous areas to deliver that final ball.

We had a few run out of energy towards the end. Brown, MJ and Archie looked like they were out on their feet.

denzel

We had a few run out of energy towards the end. Brown, MJ and Archie looked like they were out on their feet.
I'd agree. Which is a bit worrying seeing that its still early in the season and we are only playing one game a week at the moment.

Brown seemed to lose his footing too many times, not sure whats going on there

Grecian2K

Brown seemed to lose his footing too many times, not sure whats going on there
Wrong studs?
or new pitch?? (Chas might have to get out the scarifier pronto - such a shame after all his hard work)

wiveygrecian

I can only go by what I saw with the goals. I was sat right behind three of them. The first one from Robbie Willmott probably looks worse than what it was because of the pace of the shot but it was right in the corner by the post. Dawson couldn't get across in time. The second Dawson was right behind when the ball was about 5/6 yards from him and then dipped sharply down to his right and he couldn't react in time, going in off the underside of his hand/arm in the end. He will still be disappointed by it, as he clearly was, as no goalkeeper likes to be done at his near post like that.

Nombe's goal was probably a yard or so wide when it left his right foot and it just curled in towards the post and in beautifully.

I thought we were played around like dustbins for the first 10 minutes or so, not quick enough to the ball. Then we started to get a foot in and get on the ball a bit. We still look most dangerous when we turn the ball over high and go with the pace we have in abundance. But when we have to build play, we need to move the ball quicker, there are too many touches on the ball at times. Also we need more composure when we do get into dangerous areas to deliver that final ball.

I agree about the 3 of them looking knackered. Dieng also had his hands on his knees bent over obviously tired in the last ten minutes too .
Nombe’s goal definitely took a deflection of the defender

Grecian Max

Another one of those, working really hard for a goal and then let in 2 out of nowhere. It’s the same issues, most of the draws we have been on top only to be slack in defence.

Taylor has very rarely if ever found a balance with a number of squads now and I think he was tactically outdone again today with a much less talented squad.

Either these draws turn into wins or he’s going to be facing a fair bit of resentment by Jan.

A number of players could offer so much more if played correctly, Nombe is feeding off scraps whilst still showing his quality, imagine how good be.

Playing Sweeney ahead of Ray in any formation, no thanks.

Rosencrantz

I agree about the 3 of them looking knackered. Dieng also had his hands on his knees bent over obviously tired in the last ten minutes too .
Nombe’s goal definitely took a deflection of the defender
Are you trying to take another goal off of Sam 😉. Can't say I saw any deflection on Sam's goal. MJ's though 🤔

wiveygrecian

Another one of those, working really hard for a goal and then let in 2 out of nowhere. It’s the same issues, most of the draws we have been on top only to be slack in defence.

Taylor has very rarely if ever found a balance with a number of squads now and I think he was tactically outdone again today with a much less talented squad.

Either these draws turn into wins or he’s going to be facing a fair bit of resentment by Jan.

A number of players could offer so much more if played correctly, Nombe is feeding off scraps whilst still showing his quality, imagine how good be.

Playing Sweeney ahead of Ray in any formation, no thanks.
Spot on Ray before Sweeney every time .

wiveygrecian

Are you trying to take another goal off of Sam 😉. Can't say I saw any deflection on Sam's goal. MJ's though 🤔
Definitely from my view on the bank , right behind his effort was deflected but it was his goal ! No own goal this time

grecIAN Harris

I can't say as I saw a deflection on MJ's although it might explain why Day seemed to have sold himself so badly. I just thought MJ had nutmegged the defender and for some reason that completely threw Day.

Alistair20000

From where I was sitting in SASS the path to goal seemed to open up like the waters parting for the shot from Willmott that was directed into the corner of the net. I was not inclined to blame Dawson for that one but was in a minority with my neighbours.

The second Newport goal looked a keeper howler. Did the sun come into it ?