• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

‘Her Game Too’ Exeter City v Newport County Matchday Thread

"He signed a new three-year deal with the club in January 2008, Exeter managed to win the final at Wembley, with Paul keeping a clean sheet. In the 2008–09 season he played in all 46 League matches for Exeter City, winning the 2008–09 player of the season award for Exeter City after many stunning performances in goal throughout the season."

i.e. instrumental in both our promotions and player of the season when we got the second.

Hurrah!

I still remember his abject performance at SJP v Brentford when we shipped 4 in 2011 and most were his fault! I think it was his last game for us. I then had to put up with him at Crawley. A good stopper but if he had to think about things, he weren’t so sharp! He wasn’t called ‘Jonah’ for nothing, nor at Crawley!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
He did have a few howlers for us including the pass back that slipped under his foot in front of the Big Bank but I thought, overall, he did well for us.
Alex Inglethorpe said he was raw but had promise when he brought him down from Orient.
I remember Mel Gwynett saying that Paul had been willing to work hard with coaches to restructure his goalkeeping approach which led to a couple of really good seasons for us at a crucial time.

iscalad

Maybe I’m more easily pleased than most of you, or maybe it’s that I haven’t seen a home game for ages, but I really enjoyed that game, thought we played pretty well and deserved to win. Yes we were a bit ponderous (Collins particularly seemed off the pace at times) and yes Dawson could have done better with the 2nd Newport goal, but I thought we battled hard, showed some lovely touches and played some good football. Sweenz did OK for me, a couple of misplaced passes but otherwise his distribution was decent. If Josh Key had played MJ in properly when they broke after he picked the pocket of the Newport defender then we’d be toasting a win and a fine performance.
Fans I spoke to at the bustop after the game also agreed that it was a decent game.
There's a good team in there, just waiting for a bit of luck to come alive.
Good hiding in FECRACE by the way

Pobbop

Look it was an alright game, but it's hard not to see a pattern emerging, you need wins to get top 3, even to get Play-offs we need more than 2 in 9.

I'm generally a happy-clapper, but I'm just fearing where we are will be where we finish, for the 3rd year out of 4, with nowt to show from it.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have to say it: Despite any apparent late dips, or movement on the shot, that goal is up there with one of the worst I've seen from a City keeper in a long time. Andresson let in a rough old goal all along the ground at the St James Road end last season, but I think this tops that. It was a speculative shot from the corner of the penalty area, man.
One of the worst??!! Pete, you’re a tit. Players make mistakes. This is league 2 and as we’ve seen year on year, there’s loads of errors week in, week out. Dawson was at fault today but it just feels like you’re so quick to jump on anyone who makes a mistake, particularly if they’re in goal. Give it a rest.

Out or interest, what did you make of our two goals today? Rarely see you make a positive comment…

fred binneys head

Good hiding in FECRACE by the way
Yeah, didn’t make it as far as FECRACE I’m afraid, only got to Red Square. I arrived much later than I expected thanks to an hour’s delay due to roadworks about 10 minutes from my house, which wasn’t annoying at all.

Memphis09

Dawson should've saved both. Looked like he got caught in two minds between parrying it and catching it.

Thought the subs were made too soon after the second equaliser and they killed the momentum.

We played some lovely stuff in patches but too often there wasn't enough tempo to our play. Daniel was solid and would probably look better at wing back.

Nombe or Dieng for MOM
Agree with all comments except Daniel thought he looked slow sloppy and in my opinion very poor
Grounds did better but again is slow
Will be better when sparks is back

Memphis09

In general terms I wouldn't wholly agree with this. Today Hartridge's distribution was nothing short of shocking.
His distribution against Walsall was just as bad
Good at defending but I think he just try’s to many times to play the difficult ball needs to keep it simple

Memphis09

In general terms I wouldn't wholly agree with this. Today Hartridge's distribution was nothing short of shocking.
His distribution against Walsall was just as bad
Good at defending but I think he just try’s to many times to play the difficult ball needs to keep it simple
Did I say he wasn't? But the comparisons are there to be drawn.
In a 4-4-2 I'd quite like the idea of both of them in the side along with Amond up front with Nombe. I know it might be seen as being a bit archaic but if it works, who cares?
Did I say he wasn't? But the comparisons are there to be drawn.
In a 4-4-2 I'd quite like the idea of both of them in the side along with Amond up front with Nombe. I know it might be seen as being a bit archaic but if it works, who cares?
Like that idea but it will not happen thought Amond looked good when he has played
Also I think Nombe would of been a brilliant foil if we still had Bowman

Memphis09

Spot on Ray before Sweeney every time .
Was Ray carrying a knock so did not want to risk him as we have a game on Tuesday
Agree he should be playing