• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

Boyo

KMT has said that he can easily get players in but at the moment what is on offer won't improve what we have. I'm happy with the waiting game in order to get quality, not just squad quantity.
Indeed. The window doesn't shut until 1st September, so plenty of time yet. The GK is the obvious worry, but other than that we we have a decent core squad. IF we get close to the end of the window, or suffer injuries in our opening games then MT will probably look to get some bodies in, but for now he appears to be holding out for quality. Good on him.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Indeed. The window doesn't shut until 1st September, so plenty of time yet. The GK is the obvious worry, but other than that we we have a decent core squad. IF we get close to the end of the window, or suffer injuries in our opening games then MT will probably look to get some bodies in, but for now he appears to be holding out for quality. Good on him.
I think this is right, though it will mean a tough August. From 6 August we have midweek games 3 weeks out of 4 (and IIRC, 4 weeks out of 4 if we win our EFL Cup game). I'm not sure the squad is yet big enough to cope properly with that sort of schedule, even if Nombe stays fit.

IndoMike

But how do you hold out for quality?
The quality players will almost certainly be in demand with clubs which have far more money than we have. They can pick and choose. Are they waiting for City to make a bid for them?
The answer has to be using the loan system, but there is no guarantee of quality in that.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
The quality players will almost certainly be in demand with clubs which have far more money than we have. They can pick and choose. Are they waiting for City to make a bid for them?
The answer has to be using the loan system, but there is no guarantee of quality in that.
Exactly, quality doesn't hang around until the last knockings of a transfer window and join Exeter City.

robchave

I expect that what MT sees as 'quality' are players with a certain set of attributes, not just players who are already highly rated by others and can, therefore, demand high fees/wages. Some of those players could well be looking for clubs, but currently asking too much, or could be on other team's books, but not yet sure if they will be in contention for regular first team action.
As we approach the end of the window, the demands of some of players seeking clubs could become more affordable, whilst others could be looking for a loan to restart their career/get regular first team football.
Still all to play for.

Boyo

They'll be loads of players who are holding out for £X but currently have only been offered £Y. As the season approaches, those players will lower their expectations, which will make them affordable to other clubs.

There will also be plenty of players that don't make the starting 11 or the matchday squad on the first day of the season, who will suddenly want to engineer a move (loan or perm), to get regular games.

Grecian Max

Exactly, quality doesn't hang around until the last knockings of a transfer window and join Exeter City.
Exactly - the line I’ve seen used a few times in that the window ends Sept 1 - what’s actually available by then? I know people will say Stockley and Boateng but that was a one off

The best players MT has signed have all come before August (usually late June/early July) and this season starts a week earlier

In terms of quality I think everyone needs to downgrade their expectations

Grecian Max

They'll be loads of players who are holding out for £X but currently have only been offered £Y. As the season approaches, those players will lower their expectations, which will make them affordable to other clubs.

There will also be plenty of players that don't make the starting 11 or the matchday squad on the first day of the season, who will suddenly want to engineer a move (loan or perm), to get regular games.
I don’t think squad building should be done in this way and neither has Taylor until this season. Very much a Tisdale move that results in square pegs.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

robchave

I think you'll find that Stockley and Boateng was a two-off.