• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
It’s quite simple Geoff - I love MT and the way he brought the club back to being Exeter City FC rather than Paul Tisdale FC. His football is exactly how I like us to play, effective, physical, quick passing in the final third. His honesty is just what we needed and he’s a City legend as a captain of one of my favourite City sides. Probably my favourite ever manager here. So my loyalty and belief in him is there.

All that said, I want us to stay up in what is going to be a tough season and I think the club have clearly called it wrong *so far* on how to navigate this transfer window by going all in on the loans. It can only be fully judged once the window closes but the reality is we are currently lacking the tools we need to stay up. I think a lot on here overestimate the teams ability at this level and will be in for a shock.
I agree totally with much that you say Max, particularly the first section. I would like us to stay up as well but I do disagree with your conclusion that the club ie the manager, has called it wrong so far. The thing is we are completely on the outside of this so none of us really know what has been going on. That being the case I dont think we can say wrong approaches have been made as we have no idea what approaches there have been. One thing I am absolutely certain of in my own mind is that whatever has been happening for us to be where we currently are it wont have been due in any way to a lack of planning, foresight, professional approach, due diligence or acumen on the part of the manager.
I'm sure there will be those who underestimate the difficulty staying in this league, as there are those who likely overestimate the team. I did read texts, after the euphoria of promotion, that were talking about getting into the L1 play offs this coming season! Whatever way it goes for us I'm going to enjoy the ride as I always make sure I manage the difference between my hopes and my expectations. City can do no wrong for me as long as I see they are making a real effort and battling

sign of the chimes

Here is the perfect example of the dilemma facing our Manager. The GK from Bristol City is by far the better keeper of the two compared to Bass who I thought quite average whilst at Bradford. However, O'Leary is needed by Bristol City for another 2-3 weeks while their 2nd keeper is injured. Does he wait for the better keeper meaning he will have to play either of both Harry Lee or our GK coach for up to 6 matches or does he go for the less reliable Bass who will seem a long way short of Dawson from last season? Persoanlly despite being far from ideal I would rather wait for O'Leary and have him available for 36 ish games than have a keeper that Pompey cant get rid of quick enough
Cowley was interviewed yesterday after our friendly said there had been 'bids' this week for Bass.

I said earlier in the week that I didn't think he fitted the way Cowley wants us to play and he all but confirmed that in the same interview which suggests there's no future for the player while the manager remains.

He was highly regarded by the previous manager, to the extent that he was first choice for the final third of the 20/21 season in a side that made the L1 play-offs and signed a long-term contract till next Summer - supposedly to ward off interest from further up the food chain. He was unfortunate to pick up a couple of fairly serious injuries the following campaign.

I suspect there's a project there for a club/manager willing to take a punt. He 24 now, so needs to go out and play games. It's one of those where if it works out, the buying club end up developing their own player and potentially generating a profit in the medium-term.

ExmouthMart

One point of detail on Max's analysis. The Plan A was permanent signings, but we didn't land any of our key targets. Loan signings are Plan B (or Plan C,D,or Z!)

But, like Max, I'm puzzled why the focus seems now to be exclusively on loans. Surely there are free agents released by Championship/League One sides who could be of interest. Derby have signed loads of very good available players in the last 10 days (albeit players out of the reach of our budget)

I don't understand why permanent signings are ruled out..unless MT has been scarred by the experience of signing free agents without. a pre-season behind them?
“He is a player in demand and I have got to thank the board because they have put forward the budget and put forward the funds for a player like Nicky,” he said. “Centre forwards don’t come cheap and centre forwards who score goals certainly aren’t cheap, but we will get full value out of Nicky I believe…….”
Maybe this had something to do with it……

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cowley was interviewed yesterday after our friendly said there had been 'bids' this week for Bass.

I said earlier in the week that I didn't think he fitted the way Cowley wants us to play and he all but confirmed that in the same interview which suggests there's no future for the player while the manager remains.

He was highly regarded by the previous manager, to the extent that he was first choice for the final third of the 20/21 season in a side that made the L1 play-offs and signed a long-term contract till next Summer - supposedly to ward off interest from further up the food chain. He was unfortunate to pick up a couple of fairly serious injuries the following campaign.

I suspect there's a project there for a club/manager willing to take a punt. He 24 now, so needs to go out and play games. It's one of those where if it works out, the buying club end up developing their own player and potentially generating a profit in the medium-term.
I think Bass will be looking for a minimum 2 year deal which in itself doesn't fit with our development needs for Harry Lee. I would be very surprised if we were interested but not surprised if he ends up at Crawley

sign of the chimes

I think Bass will be looking for a minimum 2 year deal which in itself doesn't fit with our development needs for Harry Lee. I would be very surprised if we were interested but not surprised if he ends up at Crawley
Yes, I think that's right. I can't see the relative benefit of a loan for either side if there's a 2-year or longer permanent deal elsewhere with relatively guaranteed first-team football.

Bass may have to take a bit of a haircut on the remainder of his deal but if he can meet the criteria above he probably knows it's in his interests.

Presumably if he goes to Crawley they'll pay him in crypto-currency? ;-)

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
“He is a player in demand and I have got to thank the board because they have put forward the budget and put forward the funds for a player like Nicky,” he said. “Centre forwards don’t come cheap and centre forwards who score goals certainly aren’t cheap, but we will get full value out of Nicky I believe…….”
Maybe this had something to do with it……
I think Nicky Ajose left his mark on all of us.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Same person who said Jack Arthur was going to prison. Highly doubtful.

Agent Andy

Jack Arther could very well of ended up inside so this rumour about stansfield could be true 👍

Same person who said Jack Arthur was going to prison. Highly doubtful.
Same person who said Jack Arthur was in trouble before he was exiled from the team and loaned out to the arse end of nowhere?