• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Paul Tisdale - Ex-Bristol Rovers Manager to Col Utd now Stevenage

Grecianpasty

I'm amazed at how far he has fallen. I for one will credit him with every bit of success we achieved in his tenor, because that's what he deserved.

It seems clear that what was a progressive approach and style of management 5/10/15 years ago has become dated, and fast!

With the strength of the national league being what it is, I can see someone outside of the high spenders pitching for him.

ExmouthMart

I'm amazed at how far he has fallen. I for one will credit him with every bit of success we achieved in his tenor, because that's what he deserved.

It seems clear that what was a progressive approach and style of management 5/10/15 years ago has become dated, and fast!

With the strength of the national league being what it is, I can see someone outside of the high spenders pitching for him.
Has he failed though?! He’s just taken the last two jobs where they wanted instant results and he’s never that type of Manager. Perhaps there’s only one Club where his style is really suited but he isn’t going to get that opportunity again because of how it ended the first time. Surprising how many Clubs go back to whats familiar to them. Maybe Tisdale is just too much a proper chap for mixing with unsavoury types.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Has he failed though?! He’s just taken the last two jobs where they wanted instant results and he’s never that type of Manager. Perhaps there’s only one Club where his style is really suited but he isn’t going to get that opportunity again because of how it ended the first time. Surprising how many Clubs go back to whats familiar to them. Maybe Tisdale is just too much a proper chap for mixing with unsavoury types.
Yes he did fail because he was sacked because of results, All clubs want results and choose a club on a downward spiral (B. Rovers & Stevenage) and not produce these instant results then he failed, If going by what you've said he should have never applied for those jobs because of his style, Long term "Project" instead of instant results.

ExmouthMart

Yes he did fail because he was sacked because of results, All clubs want results and choose a club on a downward spiral (B. Rovers & Stevenage) and not produce these instant results then he failed, If going by what you've said he should have never applied for those jobs because of his style, Long term "Project" instead of instant results.
Yes he’s failed at Stevenage because he couldn’t get the instant results but is he a failure generally as a Manager?! It doesn’t seem to dent his belief in his own ability or is it the money?! I’d imagine he’s quite comfortable financially now so why keep taking what appear to be unsuitable jobs where he obviously isn’t going to make it long term?!

DB9

Yes he’s failed at Stevenage because he couldn’t get the instant results but is he a failure generally as a Manager?! It doesn’t seem to dent his belief in his own ability or is it the money?! I’d imagine he’s quite comfortable financially now so why keep taking what appear to be unsuitable jobs where he obviously isn’t going to make it long term?!
Yes, To me he is a failure, He's been sacked from his last 3 jobs for poor results when probably at his interviews he's said he could do the reverse. He's lucky he's in a profession where you get paid in full, Even after failing and given the boot. Why does he keep getting jobs? He has obvious belief in his methods and does a good interview and Chairman/Owners seem to believe what he says and have offered jobs but have all ended in tears.

Philecfc

I think Tis did a great job for us but stayed a couple years to long. His type have a place in the game but it’s finding the right club. There are a few in the lower half of lge two that he could do a job at. They hang around then change manager survive then hang around again change manage again. Fans must be sick of some owners. Big money in our lge does not always get success look at Salford. So a team like Colchester/Rochdale/Orient could do worse than putting in a five year plan and sticking to it

DB9

I think Tis did a great job for us but stayed a couple years to long. His type have a place in the game but it’s finding the right club. There are a few in the lower half of lge two that he could do a job at. They hang around then change manager survive then hang around again change manage again. Fans must be sick of some owners. Big money in our lge does not always get success look at Salford. So a team like Colchester/Rochdale/Orient could do worse than putting in a five year plan and sticking to it
There is no such thing as "Big Money" in L2, Even clubs with wealthy owners don't splash huge amounts because there is no return on it, It does though take a lot of money to run a club, A totally different thing. As for fans, They want that "Instant Success" otherwise they'd except a manager like Tisdale but they aren't and they don't. Our model is still the minority in the professional game but with our model you need the right manager who gets it and can work with it, Including its financial limitations, Tisdale did for a while then got frustrated and thought he was bigger than ECFC, Which he never was.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am surprised that the 'big money' clubs persisted with their managers earlier in the season, but they did and for Mansfield they have put together a challenge albeit on the back of their home form and dreadful pitch, and Salford have got one of the best defences in the league, if Bowyer get's a Owain Doyle type of striker and keeps his defence and midfield they should **** this league next season. Perhaps the owners just got bored of the Manager merry go round and gave them a little latitude.

Tisdale is not a quick fix manager, if it wasn't for his two year roller he would (should) have been gone before he did, particularly in the 12 months we couldn't buy a win, no club should have to put up with those results in the hope it will get better. That said he was given more time and we did mount a promotion challenge he also did put in place an infrastructure whereby we are still benefitting, but all this was built and done over time. Most football teams can't afford that time.

andrew p long

Yep. And trousered a massive wedge in the process. Football is a crazy world isn't it.
I'm not sure this is right for current dismissals any more. Everyone knows that a club appointing mid season may soon be looking to ditch the next manager. I have seen articles which suggest that, even when a (say) 2 year contract is referred to, there are break clauses enabling the club to get out cheaply at certain points much much earlier than the two years. So I doubt that Tis will be trousering much, if anything by way of a pay off this time round.

elginCity

...Tisdale did for a while then got frustrated and thought he was bigger than ECFC, Which he never was....
Don't know, Tis was frustrated, now Stevenage have appointed somebody definitely bigger than them !