• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
TK It is what I called in layman's terms, natural immunity Regarding Covid19,
the only way to prove that is by injecting the virus into someone and waiting for the result. Has that ever happened?
I'm not sure there will be too many queuing up for this!

It certainly is a massively complex beast. There must be so many factors at work that influence the widely varying death rates amongst and within countries, and varying sections of the community.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure there will be too many queuing up for this!

It certainly is a massively complex beast. There must be so many factors at work that influence the widely varying death rates amongst and within countries, and varying sections of the community.
Yes. Not recommended.

Assuming you've read TK's article you will see that. And don't forget, there are so many different kinds of symptoms, or even no symptoms at all.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes. Assuming you've read TK's article you will see that. And don't forget, there are so many different kinds of symptoms, or even
no symptoms at all.
Yes I read it, interesting.

In amongst all 'the science' trying to make sense of it, I am also intrigued about the increasing number of stories of people having this - or something very similar - at the back end of last year / in January. I know it is hardly a controlled scientific sample but many esteemed Exewebbers were complaining of 'worst bout of flu ever' over Christmas etc and more and more reports from other European countries mention the same. If CV19 was as 'instantly' lethal as being made out, then we'd have seen deaths then but we didn't. Maybe there is something to be said for the fact that it has already hit a lot of people but the virus took time to mutate and gather strength, but by late Feb it had become a much more effective 'weapon' and then started scything its way through the most vulnerable sections of society.

Maybe we have actually had the 'more lethal second wave' and the virus will run out of steam as it only has the more healthy left to try and claim, and it will get worn down and give up.

Guesswork upon guesswork though.

IndoMike

Final comment (probably).
I don't make many comments about Johnson or Hancock any longer.
To be honest imo it's self- evident that they
obfuscate, spin, deny and are incapable of
of organizing or monitoring systems.
They have outsourced (dumped) some vital functions to one or two companies (sometimes to companies where directors have been at least acquaintances of Johnson) which have not been effective, especially regarding testing.
But not only that, Johnson has been hesitant, woolly, and lacking in detail.
Tired of his absurd claims.
I have said since the beginning it's his character that is the problem : he's never been responsible or hard-working. And he's definitely not "leader" material

IndoMike

Yes I read it, interesting.

In amongst all 'the science' trying to make sense of it, I am also intrigued about the increasing number of stories of people having this - or something very similar - at the back end of last year / in January. I know it is hardly a controlled scientific sample but many esteemed Exewebbers were complaining of 'worst bout of flu ever' over Christmas etc and more and more reports from other European countries mention the same. If CV19 was as 'instantly' lethal as being made out, then we'd have seen deaths then but we didn't. Maybe there is something to be said for the fact that it has already hit a lot of people but the virus took time to mutate and gather strength, but by late Feb it had become a much more effective 'weapon' and then started scything its way through the most vulnerable sections of society.

Maybe we have actually had the 'more lethal second wave' and the virus will run out of steam as it only has the more healthy left to try and claim, and it will get worn down and give up.

Guesswork upon guesswork though.
Honestly I have no idea.
We might be underestimating it or overestimating it. There might be no further waves or 4 further waves. The fact that symptoms and recovery times vary so.much is quite incredible. What concerns me is that first there was SARS, now Covid19 (much more serious) and probably more Corona viruses in the future. You might think that we could build up immunity or discover a vaccine, but what happens if that immunity or vaccine is no longer valid for a new strain?

Alistair20000

Honestly I have no idea.
We might be underestimating it or overestimating it. There might be no further waves or 4 further waves. The fact that symptoms and recovery times vary so.much is quite incredible. What concerns me is that first there was SARS, now Covid19 (much more serious) and probably more Corona viruses in the future. You might think that we could build up immunity or discover a vaccine, but what happens if that immunity or vaccine is no longer valid for a new strain?
You get another pandemic.

When people say this COVID-19 is unprecedented they ignore history.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Viruses behave in weird ways. Take SARS basically disappearing on its own, and not appearing again in the last 16 years. Admittedly with a lower transmission and higher death rate than COVID-19 - both bonuses for ending a pandemic (although obviously not a bonus for those that catch it). Especially surprising given that studies indicate SARS antibodies only last for around two to three years.

There appears to be some genetic immunity, and as pointed out, possibly some kind of reaction from those who previously had SARS or MERS. However, one has to keep in mind that partial immunity for whatever reason is only really good for that person. If they can still catch a mild form of it and pass it on then they aren't contributing to herd immunity.

Mr Jinx

It certainly is a massively complex beast.
Nailed it in one. If it was straight forward they would've nailed a cure for the common cold decades ago. And here's to all those people out there that go and get a flu jab who, only a few months later, then get the flu.

You can kind of understand all the brouhaha surrounding bird & swine flu some years ago now. Had that manifested, we'd have seen what we see now.

Mr Jinx

You get another pandemic.

When people say this COVID-19 is unprecedented they ignore history.
China now busy lining up the next one as we speak.

Colesman Ballz

Absolutely disapprove of any violence against the police, police horses, or anyone else present, assuming it was not in self-defense : and I assume it wasn't .
I have no problem with the police : there will be rotten apples like in any profession but most of them AFAIK do a good job and are not thuggish. Their job is to carry out instructions and follow the law : the problem for the police is that the instructions or law night not always be logical or appropriate.
Of course, the police need to be policed, too.
Thatcher turned the police into her personal rent a mob.of thugs, Do you not remember the pitched battles with the miners, the wanton destruction of the traveller convoy heading for Stonehenge, the battle hardened TSG squads ? I served on the jury for the case of an off duty fire officer. His "crime" was sitting in the pub when a drug raid occurred. He called cut to friend across the pub who was being patted down and searched "Who's your new boyfriend ?"; was promptly arrested, taken out to the van and given an horrendous kicking, jailed overnight and then charged. His father was actually a long serving police officer who resigned over it.

Now things might have improved, but there is still that element present, who arrogantly believe they are above the law., and now they are armed, which can and does have fatal consequences when things go wrong. No one should have been been hurling bottles etc at them, or chucking bikes at the horses, society has gone to the dogs. Their job is very difficult, and made much more so when politicians undermine them.