• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
No I do not think racism is acceptable at all.

I regret to say that if you think it can be eradicated you are looking for one of Elgy's Unicorns. There will always be people with prejudices of all sorts out there including racists.

You can try to educate people of course and pass and enforce appropriate laws but the protesters did not set a particularly good example on that front did they ?
Yes, it's hard to change mindsets.
And it's true that the UK (I think) has made progress. Certain TV comedy shows which laughed at Black people and Asians could never be broadcast now. I remember even in an episode of Fawlty Towers Basil's doctor - a black guy- appeared and Basil sprang back as if shocked. Not to mention Manuel ++.
I think the point is that in terms of getting a job, getting a leadership role, walking down the street even ++ there is still little equality
Racism in the UK is not so blatant as it is in the UK but I believe it exists but is more subtle..
Waiting for education to work and forcthat change of mindset takes a very long time

elginCity

Racism in the UK is not so blatant as it is in the UK but I believe it exists but is more subtle..
I recently heard a UK-based Professor from the US claim exactly that.

IndoMike

I recently heard a UK-based Professor from the US claim exactly that.
I think it's obvious Elgy. The European Americans denigrated/killed/ segregated the indigenous tribes, humiliated and killed the Chinese who came to earn a living during the goldrush, and of course imported hundreds of thousands of slaves, a business that several Englishmen participated in, who were treated so awfully
Even after the Civil War the whites in the Southern States could never change their attitude towards the African Americans.
So really a total disregard and disrespect of ethnic groups is well embedded amongst many whites, especially but not exclusively among the rednecks.

In the UK I believe it was the arrival of black people and Asians from the 1950s which was the catalyst for racism in the UK. This was reflected in poor housing, lack of equal opportunity, subtle segregation, and culturally through football, TV shows, especially comedy shows/ comedians that often belittled Asians and black people.

But I don't think racism is quite so deeply embedded as it is in the US, because relatively quickly we have introduced laws to counteract it. However, no matter what laws you introduce, you can't always change the way people think.

tonykellowfan

More on immunity to COVID here:

IndoMike

More on immunity to COVID here:

The article raises many questions. But it's currently a theory only.
I note that one expert said science does not yet know how long the immunity, if there is immunity, will last
Surprising that the elderly are more immune to the flu than young folks
Also interesting the theory that many people may have been unwittingly exposed to SARS and therefore built up immunity against Covid19. The funny thing is that if they were exposed to SARS but asymptomatic then it means that they were already immune, thus the theory just mentioned above is a bit irrelevant.
I know we had this discussion before. In my opinion if Person A is asymptomatic but
can infect Person B then Person A is infected. If a person is not infected by the virus, does that mean they are immune, or does it mean they have been fortunate enough to avoid it?
I'm not a scientist and may have gotten my wires crossed, but whilst the natural immunity theory is interesting there are many caveats imo

IndoMike

Typical Johnson focussed on a small group of people who vandalised rather than discuss the main point. No demonstrators committed GBH, did they?
Why didn't Johnson speak to the nation during the last few days? He's supposed to be our leader, isn't he?

tonykellowfan

IM, there are two aspects to immunity.

Firstly, there are those who have been infected either by COVID or a similar virus in the past who can now defend against COVID (although everyone knows about antibodies there could well be other ways this works).

Secondly there are those who simply cannot be infected. This is the point my father has made to me and the one that most people have passed over, which is that the virus cannot enter the host cells, for whatever reason. Here the protection is likely to be genetic.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Typical Johnson focussed on a small group of people who vandalised rather than discuss the main point. No demonstrators committed GBH, did they?
Why didn't Johnson speak to the nation during the last few days? He's supposed to be our leader, isn't he?
Some did. 8 Met Police injured yesterday, and 27 over the past few days

Agree that, yet again, Johnson has been found wanting on the leadership front - as I said yesterday.

IndoMike

IM, there are two aspects to immunity.

Firstly, there are those who have been infected either by COVID or a similar virus in the past who can now defend against COVID (although everyone knows about antibodies there could well be other ways this works).

Secondly there are those who simply cannot be infected. This is the point my father has made to me and the one that most people have passed over, which is that the virus cannot enter the host cells, for whatever reason. Here the protection is likely to be genetic.
TK It is what I called in layman's terms, natural immunity Regarding Covid19,
the only way to prove that is by injecting the virus into someone and waiting for the result. Has that ever happened?

IndoMike

Some did. 8 Met Police injured yesterday, and 27 over the past few days

Agree that, yet again, Johnson has been found wanting on the leadership front - as I said yesterday.

View attachment 2835
Absolutely disapprove of any violence against the police, police horses, or anyone else present, assuming it was not in self-defense : and I assume it wasn't .
I have no problem with the police : there will be rotten apples like in any profession but most of them AFAIK do a good job and are not thuggish. Their job is to carry out instructions and follow the law : the problem for the police is that the instructions or law night not always be logical or appropriate.
Of course, the police need to be policed, too.