• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The English Game
Not sure if anyone has reviewed this one as I canr see it over the last 10 pages
I loved this, watched all 6 episodes in a day, it's on Netflix and follows the early development of our beloved FA Cup.
9.88/10
Hope to watch that next week..A few people have said how good it is on Twitter.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
When the casting for Porridge was being done, Ronnie Barker suggested Benny from Crossroads for the role of Lennie Godber.

Oldsmobile-88

On this day in 1974 the fly on the wall documentary The Family was first broadcasted.
It followed the ups & downs of the Wilkins family from Reading.
Quite a innovative programme idea from the BBC at that time.

DB9

On this day in 1974 the fly on the wall documentary The Family was first broadcasted.
It followed the ups & downs of the Wilkins family from Reading.
Quite a innovative programme idea from the BBC at that time.
My late Mother loved this show, It was very controversial at the time unlike nowadays when any ***** can be on TV. Wasn't there a divorce or an affair in the programme that had bigwigs discussing it? First time the subjects were talked about in a big way?

Oldsmobile-88

My late Mother loved this show, It was very controversial at the time unlike nowadays when any ***** can be on TV. Wasn't there a divorce or an affair in the programme that had bigwigs discussing it? First time the subjects were talked about in a big way?
Yes,I seem to recall the father had a affair,talk about washing your dirty linen in public.

For the times it was controversial,showing warts & all,I suppose it was a snap shot of many peoples lives at the time.

The son in law was a bit of a scally/jack the Lad.One of the daughters had a black boyfriend which in those times just was not seen on your living room TV for real.
It was ground breaking in many ways.

DB9

Yes,I seem to recall the father had a affair,talk about washing your dirty linen in public.

For the times it was controversial,showing warts & all,I suppose it was a snap shot of many peoples lives at the time.

The son in law was a bit of a scally/jack the Lad.One of the daughters had a black boyfriend which in those times just was not seen on your living room TV for real.
Wouldn't blink an eye nowadays

Mr Jinx

I think in those days, TV was far more removed from real people. These were the days long before Big Brother/Towie etc where you can now become famous for doing very little, very quickly too. TV back then was a shut shop, where all TV presenters still spoke with cut glass English accents. So to have a TV show coming direct from a normal family's living room must have been as much a novelty as it was an eye opener.

Oldsmobile-88

Starsky & Hutch was huge when it came to these shores in 1976.
Probably the last successful US TV detective show from the 1970s.
As the Clash song lyric went from I’m So Bored of the USA..”Yankee detective,always on the TV,cos killers in America work 7 days a week”

Loved this parody by Morecambe & Wise of the opening of Starsky & Hutch 😁

Rosencrantz

Starsky & Hutch was huge when it came to these shores in 1976.
Probably the last successful US TV detective show from the 1970s.
As the Clash song lyric went from I’m So Bored of the USA..”Yankee detective,always on the TV,cos killers in America work 7 days a week”

Loved this parody by Morecambe & Wise of the opening of Starsky & Hutch 😁
I was only a nipper but doesn't Cagney & Lacey count or did that start later (80's)? I can remember my gran always watching it when it was on. She liked Hill Street Blues as well although I wasn't as interested in that one as much as Cagney & Lacey.

Oldsmobile-88

I was only a nipper but doesn't Cagney & Lacey count or did that start later (80's)? I can remember my gran always watching it when it was on.
Around 1982/83 iirc..That was a decent series for it’s time..