• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
From around 1981.
EE10F9FF-1FBE-431D-A400-267EA2F54CAB.jpegTony Kellow,Lee Roberts,Ray Pratt & Len Bond on a fashion shoot outside the Rougemont Hotel.

iscalad

iscalad

From around 1981.
View attachment 1785Tony Kellow,Lee Roberts,Ray Pratt & Len Bond on a fashion shoot outside the Rougemont Hotel.
Saw Lee had posted this on Facebook. Takes you back....

Oldsmobile-88

Saw Lee had posted this on Facebook. Takes you back....
Yep..Vaguely remember the report in the E & E at the time.

Iscalad do you remember about 1974/75 the squad being filmed for a segment of the News/Current affairs programme Nationwide(which was on weekdays Mon to Fri) ?
They were filmed doing ballet stretches & exercise at the University iirc( to stop muscle strains & pulls).
Nationwide was well known for odd off the wall reports & that was one of them.

Nigel E

Off track slightly..The Grecians featured in the Big Match twice.At Hereford in 1973 & Gillingham in 1974 Both away.

The Gillingham game was unusual because it was the main feature on The Big Match which primarily featured London teams(though Kent is in the LWT footprint)
All of the usual teams featured every week (Arsenal,Spurs,Chelsea WHU & the rest must have been away)

Gillingham was Brian Moores team & he was a director at one point I believe.
I have a feeling that there was an obligation on ITV to cover 1 or 2 matches a season from Divisions 3 & 4, and that's why you'll see the occasional lower division game from that era.

I recall also that in the early 80s they covered one of our league matches away to Charlton.

And yes, Brian Moore was definitely club director for quite a long time at the Gills I think. So that probably had a bearing on why they chose that game. Remember being quite excited as a kid to actually see the City on the Big Match.

Oldsmobile-88

I have a feeling that there was an obligation on ITV to cover 1 or 2 matches a season from Divisions 3 & 4, and that's why you'll see the occasional lower division game from that era.

I recall also that in the early 80s they covered one of our league matches away to Charlton.

And yes, Brian Moore was definitely club director for quite a long time at the Gills I think. So that probably had a bearing on why they chose that game. Remember being quite excited as a kid to actually see the City on the Big Match.
Pretty sure the Charlton game was MOTD..It was a Saturday evening,though it was around that time( early 1980s) that The Big Match did Saturday evenings & MOTD was on the Sunday afternoon for a couple of seasons before normal service was resumed.

I had a similar excitement of the Grecians being the main game on the flagship LWT football programme.

Nigel E

Pretty sure the Charlton game was MOTD..
Yes, I think you're right. Looking at the records now, we played at the Valley the weekend after beating Newcastle in the cup. So that's probably what attracted the Beeb to covering the game. Charlton went up that year, so it must have been that match as we didn't play them again in the 80s.

iscalad

Yep..Vaguely remember the report in the E & E at the time.

Iscalad do you remember about 1974/75 the squad being filmed for a segment of the News/Current affairs programme Nationwide(which was on weekdays Mon to Fri) ?
They were filmed doing ballet stretches & exercise at the University iirc( to stop muscle strains & pulls).
Nationwide was well known for odd off the wall reports & that was one of them.
Only a very vague tickle on my memory for that.

fred binneys head

I’m pretty sure there used to be a gillingham fanzine called Brian Moore’s Head or something

Spoonz Red E

I’m pretty sure there used to be a gillingham fanzine called Brian Moore’s Head or something
Its full title was 'Brian Moore's Head Looks Uncannily Like London Planetarium'