• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Super team
Ian Main in goal. He took over from Vince O’Keefe who surprisingly transferred to Torquay at the end of November 1979. Both good keepers. Len Bond was signed the next season, really good competition for the number 1 spot.
A tragedy Ian Main died so young whilst serving in the Police Force. A career he took up after quitting the professional game in his mid 20s.
Main will forever be remembered for playing in the FAC replay against Leicester after it was decided not to risk Len Bond who had a hand injury. I remember talking to Len about that time, he said how important it was that Leicester did not get a inkling about the Issue in the game at Filbert St...Len was a top fella.

tea stand

26th April 1980.

A very memorable day. Party poopers, though Sheffield Weds were ultimately promoted due to other results going their way. Weds brought around 6,000 supporters, massed on the BB.Missed a penalty in front of them too 😁

It was the last 10,000 crowd for a Football League fixture at SJP. It was the 2nd 10k plus attendance of the season. The other was on NYD against you know who.

View attachment 15336
I remember this day so vividly. I was 13 and getting off the train from Exmuff at St James Park Halt to see a bank of Sheff Weds fans all sat on the allotments as we walked past was a an experience. Had a load of South Yorkshire phlegm on my Harrington as well as my face! We were very out numbered to say the least. We had to suck it up as they say and the phlegm!
It was also very exciting in the cowshed, with Wednesday fans coming in attacking from the big bank end. I do remember Kellow scoring but I also remember seeing a sea of blue and white in the big bank. Good old days!
Whatever happened to Sheffield Wednesday? Will we play the again?

Oldsmobile-88

I remember this day so vividly. I was 13 and getting off the train from Exmuff at St James Park Halt to see a bank of Sheff Weds fans all sat on the allotments as we walked past was a an experience. Had a load of South Yorkshire phlegm on my Harrington as well as my face! We were very out numbered to say the least. We had to suck it up as they say and the phlegm!
It was also very exciting in the cowshed, with Wednesday fans coming in attacking from the big bank end. I do remember Kellow scoring but I also remember seeing a sea of blue and white in the big bank. Good old days!
Whatever happened to Sheffield Wednesday? Will we play the again?
Big Jack(Charlton) on the pitch at the end when he found out they had been promoted, then trying to stop a Cooper from nicking a Wednesday fan who had run on the pitch...

Oldsmobile-88

Bradford Park Avenue v Exeter City 27th December 1969.

032A2BD9-1E32-4D3A-934B-573E484DF115.jpeg

iscalad

View attachment 15358
At least they had rubbers!!!

Bridgy 81

View attachment 15358
If I’d been City’s Manager back then I would have instructed our players to choose their moment to use their boots to stamp on the plimsolled toes of the Bradford team.
Seems like we’ve been too nice for too long.

Oldsmobile-88

freds dad mentioned the above game when he reminisced with Alan Banks & Jimmy Blain at a Senior Grecians meeting about 4 years ago.
Sounded like the pitch was better suited for ice skating.

Tim Long

At least they had rubbers!!!
What happens in Bradford Park Avenue stays in Bradford Park Avenue.

Spoonz Red E

What happens in Bradford Park Avenue stays in Bradford Park Avenue.
And there was I waiting for statement from the Bradford P.A.

Last edited: