• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Odds & sods

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The only names on that list who have been in management this season are Neil Warnock who took temporary charge of Aberdeen for a few months & Ray Lewington who was assistant to Roy Hodgeson at Crystal Palace until a couple of months ago.

BCEA9A9C-4A1F-42AA-B508-6BD05FE1830F.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

I’d forgotten that Brendan O’Connell had been top scorer for a season at SJP. I don’t recall the circumstances of his departure, but it was a surprise. it was after Terry Coopers arrival. Cooper certainly wanted to sweep the squad of players out of contract or who did not fit his style of play. The other striker on the list, Dean Edwards also departed. This lead to midfielder Darren Rowbotham being tried up front.The rest is history.

6D6C767E-B82A-4A92-A8E6-5C8A30D9ADC0.jpeg

Rosencrantz

I’d forgotten that Brendan O’Connell had been top scorer for a season at SJP. I don’t recall the circumstances of his departure, but it was a surprise. it was after Terry Coopers arrival. Cooper certainly wanted to sweep the squad of players out of contract or who did not fit his style of play. The other striker on the list, Dean Edwards also departed. This lead to midfielder Darren Rowbotham being tried up front.The rest is history.

View attachment 15169
I was gutted when Brendon left as he was a favourite of my younger days. He went on to have a good career in midfield for Burnley and in particular Barnsley in the old Div 2. Always a higher quality player in our team at the time.

The biggest surprise (or maybe not) from that article is a that they don't know their Garry Nelson's from their Jimmy Quinn's 😁

Oldsmobile-88

I was gutted when Brendon left as he was a favourite of my younger days. He went on to have a good career in midfield for Burnley and in particular Barnsley in the old Div 2. Always a higher quality player in our team at the time.

The biggest surprise (or maybe not) from that article is a that they don't know their Garry Nelson's from their Jimmy Quinn's 😁
A excellent spot 😎

O’Connell was Appleton’s best signing. It took him a little while to get a regular start. Appleton seemed to prefer Dean Edwards up front with Tony Kellow for the first third of the 1986/87 season.

Rosencrantz

A excellent spot 😎

O’Connell was Appleton’s best signing. It took him a little while to get a regular start. Appleton seemed to prefer Dean Edwards up front with Tony Kellow for the first third of the 1986/87 season.
I think it was Dean Roberts initially, Edwards came later in the season. If was Roberts and Kells with two goals each in the Aldershot game I was mascot for that autumn. I think I remember Brendon play a number of games at right back when Steve Pugh got injured that season. Paul Batty also filled in there in some games as well.

Oldsmobile-88

I think it was Dean Roberts initially, Edwards came later in the season. If was Roberts and Kells with two goals each in the Aldershot game I was mascot for that autumn. I think I remember Brendon play a number of games at right back when Steve Pugh got injured that season. Paul Batty also filled in there in some games as well.
Indeed it was Dean Roberts..He was with Bolton initially. I remember chatting to him at a mutual friends barbecue, he had a very bad ankle break when he was a apprentice at Bolton which effectively finished his time there.

Oldsmobile-88

Soccer Stamps...Just reminded of these whilst having a clear out & finding the Exeter City one.

There were 558 to collect. Tokens were printed in The Sun newspaper. 6 tokens plus 5p were exchanged for 12 stamps. Only multiples of 6 tokens were excepted.
The full set in the album would command a high price from a collector these days.

A080FE44-E4F2-4404-AE7D-C6FE07A9A63D.jpeg1FC29AC4-A3BF-4682-B40D-AD2A3F2C1D57.jpeg

iscalad

Soccer Stamps...Just reminded of these whilst having a clear out & finding the Exeter City one.

There were 558 to collect. Tokens were printed in The Sun newspaper. 6 tokens plus 5p were exchanged for 12 stamps. Only multiples of 6 tokens were excepted.
The full set in the album would command a high price from a collector these days.

View attachment 15243View attachment 15244
Not a bad team at all....

Oldsmobile-88

26th April 1980.

A very memorable day. Party poopers, though Sheffield Weds were ultimately promoted due to other results going their way. Weds brought around 6,000 supporters, massed on the BB.Missed a penalty in front of them too 😁

It was the last 10,000 crowd for a Football League fixture at SJP. It was the 2nd 10k plus attendance of the season. The other was on NYD against you know who.

76BB8293-90FD-4A4D-BEAF-F600D42EA884.jpeg

iscalad

26th April 1980.

A very memorable day. Party poopers, though Sheffield Weds were ultimately promoted due to other results going their way. Weds brought around 6,000 supporters, massed on the BB.Missed a penalty in front of them too 😁

It was the last 10,000 crowd for a Football League fixture at SJP. It was the 2nd 10k plus attendance of the season. The other was on NYD against you know who.

View attachment 15336
Super team