• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Your Top 5 Favourite Gigs Ever !

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
1 Led Zeppelin Earls Court 1975
Bankrupt after going up from Dorset for that one. Coming back, I only had enough money to get to Southampton, and had to hitch the rest of the way.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
A memorable venue back then..That was a crazy gig,Capt Sensible came on stage without a stitch on at one point..
Costello was very good down there think I ended up with his tie and a guitar lead ....... always liked to come away with a bit of memorabilia back then.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Beat - Great Hall Exeter University
Squeeze - Great Hall Exeter University
The Beautiful South - Nottingham Ice Arena
Elton John - Nottingham
Coldplay - Wembley

Roughly in chronological order but no exact dates

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
In no particular order:

Half Man Half Biscuit - Roadwater Village Hall. No ticketmaster nonsense for this one, to get tickets you had to send an SAE to a chap in the village. Ended up strolling to the gig in the company of the band's singer, got drunk with the upstart and hitchhiked back to our digs.

Half Man Half Biscuit - The Square and Compass. Another gig in the middle of nowhere. Got drunk with Mr Jan Yeo and hitchhiked back to our digs. Jan was sick in a bin.

Neko Case - Village Underground. Drove to London for this. Totally worth it - Neko is God.

Beastie Boys - Glastonbury '95(?). Ill Communication had just come out, Beasties at their peak.

Senseless Things - Lemongrove 1992(?). Best punk rock live act ever.

Honorable mentions to Dark Dark Dark, Slayer and Carter USM.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jan was sick in a bin.
Good times! Not one of my top 5 though because I was sick in a bin.

In no particular order:
Michael Kiwanuka - Phoenix (not a big fan of the venue but the band were superb)
First Aid Kit - some place in Bath that wasn't the Chlamydia
Public Service Broadcasting - Colston Hall
Thom Yorke & Jonny Greenwood - 'Secret set' Glastonbury 2010 - One of those perfect moments, weren't expecting them to play, sun was setting on a great day and I had beer. Genuinely beautiful.
Japanese Popstars - Moles in Bath - can't remember a lot but know that I really enjoyed it.

Honorable mention to the Wonder Stuff at Phoenix. Went for a "micro-binge" with Swanaldo that very quickly turned into a normal binge. Swanaldo convinced me to join him at the gig and we got very drunk. Mr Swan slept at his work. I had an arse of a hangover.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
King Crimson - Exeter ABC - My fourth ever live gig (had seen Jethro Tull at the same venue, The Barron Knights in a Torquay panto & the three piece band with organ, bass and brush snare upstairs weekly at the British Legion). Keith Christmas supported them and was brilliant. He played at Hele's School a few months later about the same period as the Hawkwind gig IndoMike mentions.

Cardiacs - White Horse Inn - Launceston. Seen them loads of times but this gig, in a packed small room, was great.

Sensational Alex Harvey Band at Reading Festival - first band I made a point of travelling to see more gigs.

Thin Lizzie - in a halls of residence refectory at Birmingham University - it was in their middle period, they were known for Whisky In The Jar but had disappeared of the radar and were playing small gigs before everything took off again.

Skunk Anansie - Deptford Park - Came on after I'd watch 4 or 5 other bands and was just beginning to suffer from ear fatigue. Absolutely, powerfully brilliant.

Honourable mention to The Fall who over a series of gigs throughout the years were just fine.

Last edited:

edindevon

Gogol Bordello - Beautiful Days 2004ish
Killing Joke - Pheonix Festival 1994
Smashing Pumpkins - Glasgow SECC 1996
Seth Lakeman - Minack Theatre 2008
Zion Train - St George's Hall, Exeter 1997. Still shudder about how off my face I was that night, but it was a damned good show.

One of the early dates that Joyce and I went on was to see Cliff Rescue and the Helicopters at the America Hall in Pinhoe. I can't remember too much about it except that the toilets became blocked after the interval and that the traffic along De La Rue Way was terrible when leaving.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
Can't believe someone went to see Coldplay AND is prepared to admit to it in public!

Swanaldo. Sensless Things are magic. I've got a CD of theirs buried somewhere and you've reminded me to dig it out. It's got Hold It Down on it as well as Homophobic ******* and some other classics.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't believe someone went to see Coldplay AND is prepared to admit to it in publ
Each to there own I am not ashamed in anyway and there were others there too :)