• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Your Top 5 Favourite Gigs Ever !

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
With some eulogising over favourite bands and their gigs on the relevant thread, I thought it might be fun to start this one.

Just trying to narrow it down is a bit of a bugger though, but here's my stab at it to start the ball rolling.

No 1 Pink Floyd Division Bell Tour, Earl's Court October 1994. Wow ! The masterclass in how to go out in style.

No 2 Bruce Springsteen & the East St Band, Born in the USA tour, Wembley 4th July 1985. Independence Day with the maestro of high energy performance

No 3 Nanci Griffith solo acoustic gig, the Mean Fiddler Acoustic Room 1988. Now I'm not a great C&W lover, but was one of the lucky 130 or so crammed in, who were spellbound by the purity of her songs. You could hear the proverbial pin drop.

No 4 Osibisa, Brighton Dome c 1973/4. Had the whole audience out of their seats and dancing to the infectious rhythms, which unfortunately led the venue to banning them from appearing there again. Miserable party-poopers !

No 5 I am going to cheat a bit here and say ANY gig by The Funking Barstewards. Ok they may be just a covers band, but do they deliver a great night out . Any band that can get the entire audience singing along to Bohemian Rhapsody must be doing something right !

So many great gigs had to be left out, I may have to do another list later ! Over to you...................

IndoMike

OK then. Here are a few
1. Hawkwind/ Hele's School, Exeter .... c.1971
2. Tangerine Dream / York Minster....... can't remember exactly when
3. Chieftains /Newcastle City Hall.....c. 1973
4. Van der Graaf Generator/ Weeley Rock Festival ..... c. 1971
5. Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee/ Bardney (Lincoln) Folk Festival c. 1970

Terryhall

Uff! That'll be tough. In no set order...

Bluetones, Exeter Great Hall, 1996 (or maybe 97)
Damien Rice, Winterthur Musikfestwochen in either 2014 or 2015 - basically an outdoor street party with a band on stage at one end (this just edges out Eels and Manic Street Preachers who I've seen at the same event - but Damien was phenomenal)
Wolf Alice, Plaza, Zurich - roughly 3-400 people crammed into the place for a band who should be playing stadiums
Muse, Stade de Suisse, Bern, June 2010 (supported by Editors)
Tocotronic, X-Tra, Zurich - seriously, check them out if you like Britpop era stuff and don't mind it being in German.

Honourable mentions to Oasis at City of Manchester; Embrace in Leeds; Xavier Rudd at Rohstofflager; I am Kloot in Sursee; and Noel Gallagher in Komplex

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
Iliketrains at Leicester Guildhall around 2012
Swervedriver at Sheffield Leadmill around 94
Levellers at Chesterfield Winding Wheel around 2008
Wedding Present at Leeds Cockpit i think don't know when though, early 90's?
Kingmaker in a Hull pub around 1994

All for various reasons. :)

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Ruts/Damned Routes Club Exeter 1979

Police,Routes Club 1979

MSP/Blaggers ITA/Credit to the Nation,Torquay Leisure Centre 1993.

The Clash Lyceum,London 1980.

Stranglers/SLF/Vibrators..Milky Way Festival 2000.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can only think of four..........perhaps I never went to as many as five! :$

1. Led Zeppelin at Earls Court, 1975
2. Rory Gallagher at Exeter University, c1974-5
3. Robin Trower Band at Exeter University, 1974-5
4. Rod Stewart and the Faces at Bournemouth, 1974

iscalad

Can only think of four..........perhaps I never went to as many as five! :$

1. Led Zeppelin at Earls Court, 1975
2. Rory Gallagher at Exeter University, c1974-5
3. Robin Trower Band at Exeter University, 1974-5
4. Rod Stewart and the Faces at Bournemouth, 1974
I was at Earls Court for that one. Physical Rocket tour.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Will keep it to one gig per band, otherwise there would likely be repetition, but:

1. The Walkmen at The Forum, Kentish Town, 1 November 2012. I was so tired that day from a mate's wedding the day before that I had to really raise myself to actually go. Boy am I glad I did, it was incredible. They knew it went well too, as the band wound down frontman Hamilton Leithauser jumped off the stage and went round the crowd shaking hands with fans. A month later they went on "extended hiatus".

2. Cracker, Dingwalls, Camden, December 2015. The night City were drawn to play Liverpool in the FA Cup, I celebrated with a blinding gig from another favourite.

3. Peter Matthew Bauer, The Lexington, Kings Cross, June 2014. The bassist-then-keyboard player from The Walkmen came over to play this "intimate" venue. And promptly blew away the small crowd. I got to meet him afterwards, what a thoroughly bloody nice bloke he was too. "I'm so stoked you came out tonight" he said - "YOU'RE stoked? I'm stoked you flew all the way over the Atlantic to play for 100-odd fans!"

4. Camper Van Beethoven, Dingwalls, Camden, May 2013. Finally got to see Camper Van, gawd it was good.

5. Counting Crows, The Forum, Kentish Town, late 1997. A warm-up gig for their Albert Hall shows, they nailed it.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Ruts/Damned Routes Club Exeter 1979

Police,Routes Club 1979

MSP/Blaggers ITA/Credit to the Nation,Torquay Leisure Centre 1993.

The Clash Lyceum,London 1980.

Stranglers/SLF/Vibrators..Milky Way Festival 2000.
I got chucked out halfway through the Damned gig ! Ended up with one of the posters outside its was the Damned the Ruts and the Local Heroes.

IndoMike

I got chucked out halfway through the Damned gig ! Ended up with one of the posters outside its was the Damned the Ruts and the Local Heroes.
Tut tut.........And I thought you were an officer and a gentleman.