• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jeremy Corbyn

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree.
and has inadvertently created a part time working mentality among some people.
Which of course has NOTHING to do with the many fast food, pub is, caffeine sloshing and sportswear-seconds chains (to name but four lines of trade) who positively insist on Zero-Hours contracts (often 'exclusive') which keep their hapless slaves chained 24/7 awaiting the call to their 16hrs Max per week on minimum wage - and also, conveniently, absolves said employers from the bulk of employment law constraints (sick pay, holiday pay etc)

Ironic that many of said Corporations also employ armies of Tax Avoidance experts to ensure they ALSO contribute ABSOLUTE MINIMUM IN THEIR OWN TAXES, to support the so called 'subsidy' to their underpaid drones.

Still, they can always pay a PR firm to rustle up a few part time yummy-mummies to gush how wonderfully well these Dickensian work practices fit in with their "busy" lifestyles for a bit of extra pin money (school run, Pilates, Gym etc)

For the rest they can only look at soaring property prices, rents, energy costs etc and wonder just how loud the self-rewarding bankers at MegaBank PLC etc will guffaw when presented with such meagre payslips are presented in support of any mortgage application. (Still, I suppose there's always the likes of Wronga & Co who might venture a 40 year, £200k+ advance - with a five figure APR)

tavyred

I wouldn't suppose we would, however the point still stands: the definition of poverty in this country is ridiculous. I suspect pretty much the entire third world would give their eye teeth to be living in British poverty.
Perhaps our definition of poverty is conisistent with us being a first world country, thus any comparison with Africa and the like is meaningless.

Antony Moxey

Is it? We're all human beings, regardless of where we are in the world and the basic necessities to live are the same whether you earn beans per year or billions, and those basic necessities don't depend on what those around you have and earn.

tavyred

Which of course has NOTHING to do with the many fast food, pub is, caffeine sloshing and sportswear-seconds chains (to name but four lines of trade) who positively insist on Zero-Hours contracts (often 'exclusive') which keep their hapless slaves chained 24/7 awaiting the call to their 16hrs Max per week on minimum wage - and also, conveniently, absolves said employers from the bulk of employment law constraints (sick pay, holiday pay etc)

Ironic that many of said Corporations also employ armies of Tax Avoidance experts to ensure they ALSO contribute ABSOLUTE MINIMUM IN THEIR OWN TAXES, to support the so called 'subsidy' to their underpaid drones.

Still, they can always pay a PR firm to rustle up a few part time yummy-mummies to gush how wonderfully well these Dickensian work practices fit in with their "busy" lifestyles for a bit of extra pin money (school run, Pilates, Gym etc)

For the rest they can only look at soaring property prices, rents, energy costs etc and wonder just how loud the self-rewarding bankers at MegaBank PLC etc will guffaw when presented with such meagre payslips are presented in support of any mortgage application. (Still, I suppose there's always the likes of Wronga & Co who might venture a 40 year, £200k+ advance - with a five figure APR)
Jeez, you`re not helping in the accusation that the Left is prone to hyperbole are you!?
I think you need to concede that all too often the undoubted tax credit racket is made worse due to a connivence between workers who happy to work part time and recieve benefits and big corporations who augment their profits by use of the UK`s welfare system. It needs to end.

tavyred

Is it? We're all human beings, regardless of where we are in the world and the basic necessities to live are the same whether you earn beans per year or billions, and those basic necessities don't depend on what those around you have and earn.
Don`t you think that the safety net in a rich country like the UK should reflect our aspirations to be a civilised and caring nation?

iscalad

Spoonz Red E

Back to the OP.

Watched PMQs today.

Still like the way he waits for the braying to stop before asking his questions. And the persistence in stating that the question has not been answered.
Cameron hasn't yet judged the tone - today he asked Corbyn 'What happened to the new style of politics?' when confronted with a perfectly reasonable question.

Cameron is still placing the soundbites and pre-scripted gags into his replys (today it was something to do with 'full Marx') but they sound disconnected when there's no head of steam built up.

ECFC traveller

Back to the OP.

Watched PMQs today.

Still like the way he waits for the braying to stop before asking his questions. And the persistence in stating that the question has not been answered.
Cameron hasn't yet judged the tone - today he asked Corbyn 'What happened to the new style of politics?' when confronted with a perfectly reasonable question.

Cameron is still placing the soundbites and pre-scripted gags into his replys (today it was something to do with 'full Marx') but they sound disconnected when there's no head of steam built up.
Must've been watching a totally different PMQs to me. Corbyn stuck on a question that has been answered several times. Then when asking a question raises his voice considerably (When there was no noise from either side, and more or less shouted his question) which is then why Cameron brought up the 'new style of politics' bit. His first reply was probably pre-scripted, but then he just had to repeat the same reply as Corbyn still can't grasp that it's going to be announced in 3 weeks.

Alistair20000

I agree with The Traveller.

Call Me Dave made it clear that new Tax Credit proposals will be brought forward in three weeks time. At that point the forensic questioning will be appropriate; not now.

I thought Corbyn wasted his quota of questions yesterday.

I did not hear the excellent John Pienaar's summary after the questions yesterday. He generally gets it right on who came off best

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with The Traveller.

Call Me Dave made it clear that new Tax Credit proposals will be brought forward in three weeks time. At that point the forensic questioning will be appropriate; not now.

I thought Corbyn wasted his quota of questions yesterday.

I did not hear the excellent John Pienaar's summary after the questions yesterday. He generally gets it right on who came off best
Kevin Maguire called it for the bearded one, but then according to him Labour have never "lost" a PMQs.

Adam Boulton, reporting no doubt totally impartially for Sky (!) called it most emphatically the other way.