• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jeremy Corbyn

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes it was there when he needed it to help dig him out of the hole, ie on a temporary basis.

The problem with tax credits is that people take them as a given, hence all the hoo haa now some of them are being taken away. It's a similar scenario with interest rates: people are coming round to the idea that they're always going to be 0.5%. A seismic shock is on its way on that front.
I agree.
I, like Jason was in receipt of tax credits briefly although it wasn't a great deal of money. The problem with tax credits is that is has become a corporate subsidy and has inadvertently created a part time working mentality among some people.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I agree.
I, like Jason was in receipt of tax credits briefly although it wasn't a great deal of money. The problem with tax credits is that is has become a corporate subsidy and has inadvertently created a part time working mentality among some people.
And created a low pay mentality amongst some bosses.

It's something that has cost around four times what it was supposed to do.

tavyred

Not at all, not sure where I suggested otherwise. Just that the word "poverty" is commonly misused, much as the word "legend" is commonly misused in Footballing circles.
I'm just not sure why you would reference the Third world poor in a debate about the relative poor in the UK.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just not sure why you would reference the Third world poor in a debate about the relative poor in the UK.
It wasn't me that brought up "poverty".

ECFC traveller

Correct term should be 'Less well off than others'

tavyred

It wasn't me that brought up "poverty".
I know, you just have a rather irrelevant problem with the definition of the word.

Antony Moxey

Does he? The definition of poverty in this country is nothing like what a reasonable person would describe it as when you see some of the conditions people live in around the world.

tavyred

Does he? The definition of poverty in this country is nothing like what a reasonable person would describe it as when you see some of the conditions people live in around the world.
I'd like to think that in any discussion about the UK's poor we wouldn't be using the obvious abject poverty of the worlds poorest as some sort of comparator when deciding policy though.

ECFC traveller

I'd like to think that in any discussion about the UK's poor we wouldn't be using the obvious abject poverty of the worlds poorest as some sort of comparator when deciding policy though.
The point is it's the left trying to emotionally blackmail people into submission using words that aren't correct and to make the situation seem a lot worse than it actually is.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

I wouldn't suppose we would, however the point still stands: the definition of poverty in this country is ridiculous. I suspect pretty much the entire third world would give their eye teeth to be living in British poverty.