• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jeremy Corbyn

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Actually in 2009 I was officially £18 per week below the "poverty line" as described by the Rowntree Foundation. *Somehow* I managed to survive this without recourse to blaming anyone but myself (for it was my wife and I overspending previously that caused this), didn't go near a food bank, etc. We put in place a debt restructuring agreement with our creditors, lived within our means and gradually became more comfortably off to the extent we've even managed to afford a foreign holiday the last two years.
It's not all about you though is it?

The fact that you managed to work your way out of 'poverty' doesn't mean that everyone can, particularly those who do not have a job/cannot work.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It's not all about you though is it?

The fact that you managed to work your way out of 'poverty' doesn't mean that everyone can, particularly those who do not have a job/cannot work.
I gave a direct answer to a direct and woefully misguided accusation.

And I am fully in favour of a welfare system that helps those who cannot help themselves.

StroudGrecian

I gave a direct answer to a direct and woefully misguided accusation.

And I am fully in favour of a welfare system that helps those who cannot help themselves.
So presumably you are with Corbyn and against the disgraceful way that Osborne and co are trying to rush through the reduction in tax credits before any benefit can be gained from improving wages?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
So presumably you are with Corbyn and against the disgraceful way that Osborne and co are trying to rush through the reduction in tax credits before any benefit can be gained from improving wages?
I have already stated my position in that I am in favour of abolishing Tax Credits, but this needs to be done more slowly to mitigate against any increased hardship for those receiving them. This is not Corbyn's position, nor is it (currently) Osborne's.

tavyred

Yes they did, at least until they were taken away - we still survived after this happened, we just made do.

At no point did I have to walk ten miles for my water supply.
I don't see how making fatuous comparisons with the third world poor helps the debate. In a first world country it should be possible to talk about our relative poor without suggesting that they haven't got it as bad as someone struggling to even survive in Africa for example. I'm glad you've conceded that the welfare state was there for you when you needed it, despite it seemingly being primarily down to your own financial incompetence.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see how making fatuous comparisons with the third world poor helps the debate. In a first world country it should be possible to talk about our relative poor without suggesting that they haven't got it as bad as someone struggling to even survive in Africa for example. I'm glad you've conceded that the welfare state was there for you when you needed it, despite it seemingly being primarily down to your own financial incompetence.
Because "poverty" is exactly that, it is not a contrived measure by which diddums can't afford "nice things".

Actually while we were fiscally unsound prior to having Madam and had run up substantial debts, in the end it was childcare costs that forced us into so-called "poverty" - something that has been tackled by the current government in terms of extending free childcare provision. We didn't actually know we were entitled to Tax Credits until Madam was two, and got them for about eighteen months. It wasn't that much but it helped, although we had (just about) survived before getting them and survived after we no longer qualified.

Incidentally throughout our time in "poverty" I managed to do things like run a car.

ECFC traveller

The definition of poverty is living in extremely poor conditions. Having a house, 3 hot meals a day, a TV and a phone is in no means POVERTY by any stretch of the imagination. Just because maybe you cannot afford a **** up on a Friday night or the latest iphone does not mean you're in 'poverty' - Honestly, can you imagine trying to describe you're in poverty to some genuinely starving kid in Africa?

tavyred

I'll concede that our poor aren't as poor as the third world poor, but what has that got to do with anything?
Are you suggesting that unless we see third world levels of poverty in the UK then debating the subject shouldn't happen?

Mr Jinx

I'm glad you've conceded that the welfare state was there for you when you needed it, despite it seemingly being primarily down to your own financial incompetence.
Yes it was there when he needed it to help dig him out of the hole, ie on a temporary basis.

The problem with tax credits is that people take them as a given, hence all the hoo haa now some of them are being taken away. It's a similar scenario with interest rates: people are coming round to the idea that they're always going to be 0.5%. A seismic shock is on its way on that front.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'll concede that our poor aren't as poor as the third world poor, but what has that got to do with anything?
Are you suggesting that unless we see third world levels of poverty in the UK then debating the subject shouldn't happen?
Not at all, not sure where I suggested otherwise. Just that the word "poverty" is commonly misused, much as the word "legend" is commonly misused in Footballing circles.