• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'BIG' news tomorrow

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I didn't claim the council are against it - in fact I think they're already good to go on the idea.

The residents aren't happy though, and as a 'community' club we have to take them into account. driving a wedge between them and the club isn't helpful and won't help with our public image in the city.

Last edited:

Oli

I didn't claim the council are against it - in fact I think they're already good to go on the idea.

The residents aren't happy though, and as a 'community' club we have to take them into account. driving a wedge between them and the club isn't helpful and won't help with our public image in the city.
It will only really ruin our image with the local residents, I would say the rest of the city wouldn't really give a flying one. On that basis, plough on through.

Oldsmobile-88

Indeed.... A few local residents scuppered the Speedway at Westpoint..Any Council is obliged to listen to opposition & local councillor's will no doubt take this on board..Its called democracy...

The scheme will enhance the area,but there has been a lot of negative vibes recently about the number of student accommodation blocks being built in the area...WHen is the next local council election..:D..

Last edited:

Grecian1966

Just been up, think the plans look great.

However be prepared for the residents to oppose this; and influx of 500 students to the area isn't something they're happy about.

Unless of course we already have the council onside...
Maxey, there won't be a net increase of students as this will free up residential student housing to revert back to family use. I would have thought the locals would be extremely positive about reclaiming their streets from pesky students partying all night next door:D

David Treharne

I take it you attended the recent meetings of the St James Forum? I also hoped that you might have read post#323. What the contentious issue is in St. James, Newtown and
Polsloe is that owner occupied housing is still be turned into HMO's against the wishes of the 73% of the population (in St James) who are renters or owner occupiers. The City Council has already drafted an order which will come into force in 2012 to prevent changes taking place without specific planning permission in St James- and since student numbers at Exeter are rising (and quite fast as well) it would seem to be more acceptable to have students placed together in a 'village like' development than to have more and more housing stock in areas of the City more and more remote from the campus taken over to accommodate these numbers.
There was no evidence of this 'unhappiness' when Ed Chorlton was at the forum and invited local residents to attend this exposition,and the discussions that subsequently took place didn't raise issues of dissent about the redevelopment. Frankly, I'll be happier when the view out of my study window replaces a green monstrosity with something that is more appropriate to the football club I want to support in the 21st century.
Of course that's not to say that the press will not try to make 'factions' appear to be at odds with each other. There's not much mileage in stories when everybody appears to be relatively unanimous about development.

RobG

I would really appreciate if the posters from the presentations could be uploaded at a high res online? It would be great to have that lot to read at home, especially for those who couldnt go. The plans looked a lot nicer larger than the ones attached on thisisdevon. Can anyone arrange this?

Also, has anyone go the email to send thoughts about it?
Rob

Grecian2K

Frankly, I'll be happier when the view out of my study window replaces a green monstrosity with something that is more appropriate to the football club I want to support in the 21st century.
Amen to that!!! [y]

Grecian Max

I take it you attended the recent meetings of the St James Forum?
David, read my location...obviously not
;)

I know a couple of residents though and went up to SJP to see Ed Chorlton being confronted with a lot of questions from local residents, all centred on the student 'issue'...

Pete Martin (CTID)

There are a number of reasons why, if planning permission could be gained for the redevelopment, it would have appeal well beyond the football club.

If decent, substantial and comprehensive conference and banqueting facilities are provided, which is intended, it could easily begin to rival Sandy Park as there are forms of layout and facilities that could be incorporated that Sandy Park does not and, in some instances, could not provide.

At Sandy Park there are something like 200 on-site parking spaces, usually taken up by visiting teams, dignatories, officials of home and away clubs and disabled supporters. The majority of all other car parking is either on the "Sowton 30" industrial park or at the Sowton Park and Ride site (which is co-located with the Digby & Sowton Station). Both entail a reasonable walk (around 10 minutes from the P & R site) along a footpath that is essentially rural.

SJP is a city centre site with all facilities close by, easy access by every transport mode, safe well-lit walking routes and the likelihood of conference facilities that will better those at SP.

Many people admire and envy what has been achieved by the Chiefs, especially in terms of maximising non-matchday income but, believe you me, if we can get the proposals for SJP up and running we can and will trump them.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Hardly semantics ...
May I suggest the purchase of a quality dictionary? I would have thought the Concise Oxford to be the minimum ... [y]