• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Paul Jones

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another three points he's thrown away.

Another three points HE'S thrown away? Thats totally out of order Flacky. You make it sound like he's costing us three points on a regular basis. Christ give the man a break! I haven't seen the highlights, although Jimmy Giles gave a reasonably apt description of the PJ goings on during the game. John Ayres though tends to look for 'stantions in the way' which restrict his view from the commentary box, rather than outright criticise Jonah, and I applaud him for that. He's a nice guy and a City fan through and through.

I know I've taken a beating from Jonah fans over goals he's conceeded etc. when I've only seen minimal highlights, and I know that when I do see the highlights of this game, it wont be pretty, but I cant believe all the dozens of anti Jonah 'fans' that have come out of the wordwork on here who feel far more critical of the man than I ever did!

And for the uninitiated on here, a manager doesnt doesnt drop his No 1 keeper on the back of a one off nightmare game. I fully expect Jones to be first choice in the Brighton game. If he's not, then Tisdale will have dropped a long way in my estimation.

Did Ferguson drop Vandersar after that blatent clanger he dropped? No he didnt, and neither will Tisdale drop Jonah, BASED ON ONE GAME!

Last edited:

Taz

Another three points HE'S thrown away? Thats totally out of order Flacky. You make it sound like he's costing us three points on a regular basis. Christ give the man a break! I haven't seen the highlights, although Jimmy Giles gave a reasonably apt description of the PJ goings on during the game. John Ayres though tends to look for 'stantions in the way' which restrict his view from the commentary box, rather than outright criticise Jonah, and I applaud him for that. He's a nice guy and a City fan through and through.

I know I've taken a beating from Jonah fans over goals he's conceeded etc. when I've only seen minimal highlights, and I know that when I do see the highlights of this game, it wont be pretty, but I cant believe all the dozens of anti Jonah 'fans' that have come out of the wordwork on here who feel far more critical of the man than I ever did!

And for the uninitiated on here, a manager doesnt doesnt drop his No 1 keeper on the back of a one off nightmare game. I fully expect Jones to be first choice in the Brighton game. If he's not, then Tisdale will have dropped a long way in my estimation.

Did Ferguson drop Vandersar after that blatent clanger he dropped? No he didnt, and neither will Tisdale drop Jonah, BASED ON ONE GAME!

I must admit I was waiting for a right torrid abuse session from yourself Pete, and I must admit you've shocked me today (if it was facebook i'd of thought you may of been fraped!); however today I think you are 99.9% spot on and I applaud you for that! I do however think Jonesy should have a say in what he thinks, maybe he will feel he needs a break from first team action, just to regain a little confidence, before heading back out in to the firing line...

Antony Moxey

Can't even kick a ball!
Are you simple or something? Of course he can kick a f*cking ball.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thats got to be one of the worse goalkeeping displays i have seen at City in my 30 years of following them.
Decision making poor, punching poor,coming for crosses poor, kicking poor.
How many saves did he have to make apart from the 4 goals, hardly any.
Besides the two penalties you mean?!

dommers

Have just seen the highlights and it was good to see all our defenders doing their job to stop the shot/crosses in the first place.

grecIAN Harris

Are you simple or something? Of course he can kick a f*cking ball.
I'd suggest what he is getting at is that Jones is still very ungainly with his kicking particularly with the moving ball. This is what sends most of our hearts racing into a panic whenever this situation occurs. Also because of his ungainlyness, I believe he spends more time focusing on actually getting a decent contact with the ball which then takes away from him being able to get any kind of real accuracy on any clearance. It's all about getting distance. I'm lead to believe that yesterday the plan was to hit the wings with his clearance because the heart of the Brentford side contained half a dozen outhouses. Now given that he's loosing accuracy over distance, this makes trying to hit a certain area of the pitch rather difficult particularly when it's the edge and there is very little room for error.

Antony Moxey

I'd suggest what he is getting at is that Jones is still very ungainly with his kicking particularly with the moving ball. This is what sends most of our hearts racing into a panic whenever this situation occurs. Also because of his ungainlyness, I believe he spends more time focusing on actually getting a decent contact with the ball which then takes away from him being able to get any kind of real accuracy on any clearance. It's all about getting distance. I'm lead to believe that yesterday the plan was to hit the wings with his clearance because the heart of the Brentford side contained half a dozen outhouses. Now given that he's loosing accuracy over distance, this makes trying to hit a certain area of the pitch rather difficult particularly when it's the edge and there is very little room for error.
But the thing is Harris, I really can't see much wrong with his kicking these days. Sure he shanks the odd one into the stands, but it usually really is the odd one rather than a regular occurrence.

For all his supposed faults yesterday, I can't remember him doing anything wrong distribution-wise yesterday, either with a moving or stationary ball or from the hand - all seemed pretty good to me.

I think nowadays his kicking is one of these urban myths that has somehow become 'true' over time, so in that respect I stand by what I wrote earlier 'of course he can kick a f*cking ball'.

grecIAN Harris

But the thing is Harris, I really can't see much wrong with his kicking these days. Sure he shanks the odd one into the stands, but it usually really is the odd one rather than a regular occurrence.

For all his supposed faults yesterday, I can't remember him doing anything wrong distribution-wise yesterday, either with a moving or stationary ball or from the hand - all seemed pretty good to me.

I think nowadays his kicking is one of these urban myths that has somehow become 'true' over time, so in that respect I stand by what I wrote earlier 'of course he can kick a f*cking ball'.
It depends in what you're looking for in his kicking though. When he first came here, we all know he couldn't kick his way out of a wet paper bag and when he did try, like you say, he'd shank it. These days his distance is solid but can he be accurate when required as, certainly the impression I was left with, he needed to be yesterday.

ecfctis

The underlying point with all this comment on Jones is 'Is he good enough for L1 standard' on his present form and apparent lack of confidence.
The answer is unfortunately No! Yes ok he made a couple of penalty saves, but he had already caused so much confusion and mistakes we were already 4-1 down. His positional sense going for crosses not getting there, and flapping quite a lot, overall was very poor, especially for someone of his apparent experience and shot stopping capability. His commanding of his penalty area was shocking. He is most definitely going backwards at the moment, so what on earth is the GK coach doing, what is he getting paid for, there is nothing on current form to demonstrate his worth to the coaching team!! On yesterdays performance alone, Artur is due a chance, even if he may be untried, and the next match is Brighton. Jonesy's confidence is already shot after yesterday, so dropping him won't make that much difference, and Artur can't be worse than an out of form Jones. B Jones is still a problem as well, so Tis has to pick these lads up or make some changes to restart the season. With November approaching, on current form and points return we are possibly heading for a poor points return and a lowly league position come the end of the month!!

Antony Moxey

Jonesy's confidence is already shot after yesterday
When did you see him for him to tell you this?