• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Paul Jones

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
hence the troy pen, jones should have shouted 'keepers' and easily collected.

as for the pens, my gran could have saved the first, and he guessed right for the second, big deal.
How do you know he didn't shout to Troy, and whether he did or didn't, it doesn't excuse Troy firstly heading straight to their bloke then lunging in to bring him down for the penalty - neither of those two mistakes were Jones' fault.

The penalties - according to your logic then is any penalty a big deal? I bet had they been up the other end you'd have been on here saying how brilliant their keeper was and how you couldn't ever see Jones saving two in a match like that.

milts

good point, i dont know jones didnt shout.. but i would say it was highly unlikely! However much you try and defend jones, noone can deny he was truely awful yesterday.

by the time he saved those two penalties he had already lost us the game.. and they werent exactly magical saves, but he saved them so well done pj, just a shame about the 3 goals before that.

STURTZ

You don't have to know whether Jonesy shouted at his defence, you just have to see his nervousness when it comes to balls into our box, his tendency to leave his goal at the most inapropriate times and the way that our defenders have little confidence in having him behind them to see that Jonesy has no command.

Poultice

You don't have to know whether Jonesy shouted at his defence, you just have to see his nervousness when it comes to balls into our box, his tendency to leave his goal at the most inapropriate times and the way that our defenders have little confidence in having him behind them to see that Jonesy has no command.
Is this a 'Bertie' like change of mind ?

I seem to remember you siding with Norm when he was beating me up at Brentford.

Antony Moxey

good point, i dont know jones didnt shout.. but i would say it was highly unlikely! However much you try and defend jones, noone can deny he was truely awful yesterday.

by the time he saved those two penalties he had already lost us the game.. and they werent exactly magical saves, but he saved them so well done pj, just a shame about the 3 goals before that.
Not denying he didn't have his best game ever, but the main reason for defending him is that I think he's being singled out here when the defence seem to be getting off scot free. As I said regarding the second penalty, Troy could have headed it anywhere, yet he headed it straight to their attacker's feet, then compounded the error by upending him for a penalty!

Look at Billy Jones diving in on McDonald and missing by a country mile. McDonald steps sideways and all of a sudden he's in one on one with not a single defender within ten yards of him inside the penalty area for their fourth goal.

Who was defending the far post for their second, who let the guy nod it back unchallenged and was Jones the only City player in the four surrounding Alexander allowed to make a challenge instead of letting him bundle the ball home.

How about the third goal? How many defenders got beaten before Jones had to come rushing out to meet their attacker? The guy beat him by inches, but why was it allowed to get to that in the first place?

Their first goal - who was on the edge of the box offering no challenge to their goalscorer?

Like I say, it was far from Jones' best game in a City shirt, but lets have a bit of balance here and look at how each of those goals came about - every single one of them, and the two penalties, should have been dealt with a long time before Jones needed to be involved.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Our defence bar Duffy and Tully is abysmal, no keeper would stand a chance behind the rest of them

Antony Moxey

you just have to see his nervousness when it comes to balls into our box.
Perhaps this alleged nervousness is because he's wondering whether his defence will do their jobs and clear the f*cking thing first, or whether they'll leave him hopelessly exposed and looking stupid when they fail to cut out a cross yet again?

STURTZ

I'll always give a young player the benefit of the doubt whilst he is developing, he's played very well in some matches, outstanding reaction saves and a strong physique.

Command and confidence in his own ability are things that can't be coached he's got to have that attitude that everything in and around the 6 yard box are his and it's up to oppo attackers to worry about him not the other way round.

Yes it helps to have players in front of you that have some kind of idea, Taylor for instance would get rid of the ball without involving Paul Jones at all, too risky.

It was Norm that attacked you poults at Brentford not me, I just laughed as he laid into you!:D

Last edited:

Poultice

Perhaps this alleged nervousness is because he's wondering whether his defence will do their jobs and clear the f*cking thing first, or whether they'll leave him hopelessly exposed and looking stupid when they fail to cut out a cross yet again?
Sorry Ant, you are so far off campus on this one, true our defence is pretty sh*t, but Jonesy has always been awful at taking crosses, all that has happened since Matt disappeared is that he has been asked to step up, he has been proven to be totally incapable of doing so.

The hesitancy he displays under the high ball, when added to his poor kicking and atrocious decision making, make him a liability we cannot afford, whether Arty can step in and clear up is another question.

Antony Moxey

Sorry Ant, you are so far off campus on this one.
Bound to be aren't I? So it doesn't matter that our defence is sh*te, lets all give Jonesy a roasting and forget about them f*cking it up righteously yesterday. Like I said, all four goals and both penalties should have been dealt with before Jones needed to be involved, yet he's the one taking all the stick.

On the thread about players' ratings, someone even gave Billy Jones an 8, and this when three of the goals came from his side of the pitch. How a defender in a team that concedes four plus two penalties can get an 8 is beyond me, although it seems many on here are just after a scapegoat rather than a real solution.