• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Most UNDER-rated band.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Mike Joyce saga was indeed because he was claiming extra royalties. Didn't he realise that he as drummer and Rourke as bass player they are pretty much disposable? Whilst this was based on previous friendship, it was Morrissey and Marr that were The Smiths.

I too was a little young to see The Smiths live but have been lucky enough to see Morrissey live twice.

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was, and still am, a big fan of The Smiths.
Prefer Aerosmith meself!

Phil Sayers

Thanks for the info people.

I saw Morrissey at Reading a couple of years ago.

He was OK but I got the impression he was going through the motions. Mind you he put effort into that Irish Heart, English Blood song which I preferred live to on the radio. He was promoting it at the time though...

Swanaldo

IF you were Morrissey, which you are not, wouldn't you put more effort into the stuff you had written recently, rather that the 20-year old tunes you had performed with people you didn't like very much...?

No brainer.

DrDeath

Well-known Exeweb poster
Intresting comments regarding a possible Smiths Re-union on Wikipedia.

Both Johnny Marr and Morrissey have repeatedly said in interviews that there is no way a reformation will ever take place. In 2005, VH1 attempted to get the band back together for a reunion on its Bands Reunited show. The show abandoned its attempt after its host Aamer Haleem was unsuccessful in his attempt to corner Morrissey before a show.

In December 2005 it was announced that Johnny Marr and The Healers would play at Manchester v Cancer, a benefit show for cancer research being organised by Andy Rourke and his production company, Great Northern Productions.[13] Rumours suggested that a Smiths reunion would occur at this concert but were dispelled by Johnny Marr on his website.[14] What did eventuate was Rourke joining Marr onstage for the first time since The Smiths broke up, performing "How Soon Is Now?".

To this day Morrissey refuses to reunite his old band, going as far as to say that he would “rather eat [his] own testicles than re-form The Smiths, and that’s saying something for a vegetarian.”[15] In March 2006 Morrissey revealed that The Smiths had been offered five million dollars to reunite for a performance at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, which he turned down, saying, "No, because money doesn't come into it." He further explained, "It was a fantastic journey. And then it ended. I didn't feel we should have ended. I wanted to continue. [Marr] wanted to end it. And that was that."[16] When asked why he would not reform with The Smiths, Morrissey responded “I feel as if I’ve worked very hard since the demise of The Smiths and the others haven’t, so why hand them attention that they haven’t earned? We are not friends, we don’t see each other. Why on earth would we be on a stage together?”[17]

In August 2007 it was reported Morrissey had turned down a near £40 million offer to reunite with Johnny Marr for a 50-date world tour in 2008 and 2009. The condition would only be that Morrissey would have to play the dates with Marr, meaning the deal could have gone ahead without Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke.[18]

According to an anonymous press release on true-to-you.net, an unofficial fan site tacitly supported by Morrissey, Morrissey was approached in summer 2007 by a "consortium of promoters" with a $75 million offer to tour during the next two years. The offer required Morrissey to make a minimum of fifty worldwide performances with Johnny Marr, under the Smiths' name. true-to-you.net reported that the offer had been refused.[19] Other reports say that the whole $75 million tour was a hoax.[20]

In an October 2007 interview on BBC Radio Five Live, Johnny Marr hinted at a potential reformation in the future, saying that "stranger things have happened so, you know, who knows?" Marr went on to say that "It's no biggy. Maybe we will in 10 or 15 years' time when we all need to for whatever reasons, but right now Morrissey is doing his thing and I'm doing mine, so that's the answer really." This is the first potential indication of a Smiths reunion from Marr, who previously has stated that reforming the band would be a bad idea.[21

Swanaldo

Swanny, given that you have mentioned both the Wonder Stuff and Midlake recently, I think your music taste is spot on.

Turin Brakes
Richard Hawley
Charlatans
Drugstore
Mazzy Starr

Quality! :)
Not heard much Hawley, but all other bands mentioned are in my top 50. Are you on http://www.last.fm by the way?

LOG

Are you on http://www.last.fm by the way?
I was a pandora user but this has now been withdrawn and is only available state side so i've signed up for this. I did once before and didn't get on with it but i'll give it another go.

Forever7

Not heard much Hawley, but all other bands mentioned are in my top 50. Are you on http://www.last.fm by the way?
Yes, last FM is superb. I got into that througha thread elsewhere on Exeweb funnily enough!! Probably started by your good self.

Swanaldo

Indeed. I seem to have inadvertantly linked to my 'member' page (oo-er) rather than the generic home page. I'm widely quoted as saying that Last.fm is my "second favourite website".

Forever7

Indeed. I seem to have inadvertantly linked to my 'member' page (oo-er) rather than the generic home page. I'm widely quoted as saying that Last.fm is my "second favourite website".
behind www.fancydressgolf.com still? ;)