• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

MK Dons versus Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not a pen for me. If that had been boot on the other foot I suspect 99 out of 100 would be screaming merry hell/you cheating xxxxxx. Just nowhere near enough to warrant a pen imo
I hear ya fella. Just trying to shoehorn it into the new world of video refereeing where usually the slightest touch gets them given.

sidney

I hear ya fella. Just trying to shoehorn it into the new world of video refereeing where usually the slightest touch gets them given.
Given my lack of computer skills, I can't start a new thread! So apologies for using this thread to discuss modern refereeing. I would like to say how much linesmen/assistant referees have improved in recent years. VAR shows them to be remarkably good at their jobs these days, very often vindicated when tiny margins are involved. My recollection of the old days is of scandalous mistakes ( Tony Brown of WBA at Leeds United, anyone? ).

So I do think linesmen, and Premiership referees at least, are significantly better than they used to be. Except in certain regards: manhandling in the box at corners, timewasting ( why do they not just book them straight off? ), etc. ( I'll think of some more... )

iscalad

Given my lack of computer skills, I can't start a new thread! So apologies for using this thread to discuss modern refereeing. I would like to say how much linesmen/assistant referees have improved in recent years. VAR shows them to be remarkably good at their jobs these days, very often vindicated when tiny margins are involved. My recollection of the old days is of scandalous mistakes ( Tony Brown of WBA at Leeds United, anyone? ).

So I do think linesmen, and Premiership referees at least, are significantly better than they used to be. Except in certain regards: manhandling in the box at corners, timewasting ( why do they not just book them straight off? ), etc. ( I'll think of some more... )
Top of the forums page. Post Thread button.

grecIAN Harris

That's the sort of nonsense I'd expect from Pete the Yank. They can't make any kind of decision without their strings being pulled by the master puppeteer, not even the simple things like a throw in.

andrew p long

We all know the standard of refereeing in League 1 and 2 is fairly poor. Totally agree with Jinx when he says that decisions can be made based on decisions made previously in a game, this happens at Premier League level right down to Devon and Exeter division 8. If a referee makes a dubious call in favour of one side, it's unlikely he'll do it again in their favour if the situation arises. They'll often try and 'even it up' too, so if that incident happened in the other penalty area I think he would have given it.
What is even sadder than the above being true, is the fact that some managers have worked out one natural consequence. Namely that the best way to get the next borderline refereeing call go your way , is to persuade the officials that your last call against them was dubious and needs 'evening up'.

So to do that, allocate staff members whose sole job is to be constantly in the ear of officials complaining vehemently about their decisions. This is called the 'Cowley Effect'

andrew p long

a clear view of the penalty incident from behind the goal - at 1m 15 seconds. Ref got it right!

Red Bill

a clear view of the penalty incident from behind the goal - at 1m 15 seconds. Ref got it right!
Well from that clip its very clear that the MKD fans 'don't what they're doing, they don't know what they're doing!' How they didn't think that was a clear penalty from that view I have no idea!

PeteUSA

Well from that clip its very clear that the MKD fans 'don't what they're doing, they don't know what they're doing!' How they didn't think that was a clear penalty from that view I have no idea!
Yes, but none of us had that view did we? Seen from the side, theres no way to see that our player was brought down. I firmly felt that it was a harsh call by the referee against MK, particularly as at that point, he was was behind the play, and far too far away to accurately give that award. That footage from behind the goal clears it up, the referee was right, but the award was a bit tongue in cheek. I wouldnt have been a bit surprised if he'd waved play on.

Red Bill

Yes, but none of us had that view did we? Seen from the side, theres no way to see that our player was brought down. I firmly felt that it was a harsh call by the referee against MK, particularly as at that point, he was was behind the play, and far too far away to accurately give that award. That footage from behind the goal clears it up, the referee was right, but the award was a bit tongue in cheek. I wouldnt have been a bit surprised if he'd waved play on.
So because you couldn't see it it shouldn't have been a penalty? Luckily the ref who was only 15 yards from the incident at pitch level did see it and did the right thing. It was an absolute stone wall penalty, the ball never diverted from its path so how could the defender have got a touch plus he made contact with Nombe before he got near the ball. So where the "a bit tongue in cheek" comment comes from I have no idea.

fred binneys head

So because you couldn't see it it shouldn't have been a penalty? Luckily the ref who was only 15 yards from the incident at pitch level did see it and did the right thing. It was an absolute stone wall penalty, the ball never diverted from its path so how could the defender have got a touch plus he made contact with Nombe before he got near the ball. So where the "a bit tongue in cheek" comment comes from I have no idea.
I do think it was a penalty but the video proves what I was saying - the defender played the ball but played Nombe beforehand, therefore it’s a penalty.

Look at this shot (only just in the box, mind!):

A8869850-1AEA-413C-8FB5-D0D9AB642B9B.png