• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

MK Dons versus Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

PeteUni1984_7

Great result and long periods in the second half where we looked dominant (even without the ball). Not sure if anyone has covered this already but the radio Devon commentary on ifollow kept saying how great the ground was…. however the MK pitch looked rubbish! I’ve seen better pitches at Flowerpot - Another reminder of the progress our little club has made in recent times.
Agreed - the pitch was awful. We are making steady and sustainable progress - both the pitch and the training facilities should help attract better players as well as improving the quality of what is on show each game. No point in having a big stadium with padded seats if there is no atmosphere because all you fans are spread out so much

Memphis09

It was only ever one, in the last minute on Jevani. Anybody who thinks the one on White was a foul needs their head read.
Yes agree but have seen they given

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Managed to get a copy of my friends vid of the 2nd half penalty shout. It's a bit jerky, but you get the idea. He does go down easily, but there is cynical contact inside the box. WC VAR would give it. Definite infringement and pen in my book. Thoughts?

View attachment VID-20230130-WA0000.mp4

Bridgy 81

The trouble is that different decisions are given for the same/similar infringements in different phases of play.
What I mean by that is the incident on your video, which is in open play, could easily have been a penalty and I understand why you and others thought it should.
But when you see the holding, pulling and pushing by multiple players, much more blatant than that one on Archie, at every set piece near goal it never is.
Also, I do think nowadays players look for a penalty or free kick sometimes at the expense of taking advantage of the opportunity they have with the ball at their feet.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watching this just makes me wonder how long Franchise FC can continue with this dismal project.

The club must be absolutely haemorrhaging money paying to maintain that stadium with nobody inside it. And how are you going to sustain this new fan base by being relegated back to the bottom tier, with no atmosphere in your ground, once again. Two decades in and they've got nowhere, essentially.

I would bloody love for Winkelman to call time on this whole sorry chapter.

andrew p long

I basically thought the same as Mr Jinx re the Collins penalty incident.

VAR probably gives it, having analysed a few camera angles. In EFL non VAR games refs normally don't - they only give pens for things they can clearly see live and which have both clear sight lines and consequences.

andrew p long

Watching this just makes me wonder how long Franchise FC can continue with this dismal project.

The club must be absolutely haemorrhaging money paying to maintain that stadium with nobody inside it. And how are you going to sustain this new fan base by being relegated back to the bottom tier, with no atmosphere in your ground, once again. Two decades in and they've got nowhere, essentially.

I would bloody love for Winkelman to call time on this whole sorry chapter.
On Saturday one of the MKDons fans turned to the person nearest to him and shouted 'Oi..'

(copyright Jasper Carrott)

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Managed to get a copy of my friends vid of the 2nd half penalty shout. It's a bit jerky, but you get the idea. He does go down easily, but there is cynical contact inside the box. WC VAR would give it. Definite infringement and pen in my book. Thoughts?

View attachment 10885
Anywhere else on the pitch that's a foul

Bridgy 81

Anywhere else on the pitch that's a foul
Apart from in the penalty box at every free kick and corner!

Mr Jinx

I basically thought the same as Mr Jinx re the Collins penalty incident.

VAR probably gives it, having analysed a few camera angles. In EFL non VAR games refs normally don't - they only give pens for things they can clearly see live and which have both clear sight lines and consequences.
I think it's a classic case of of old school refereeing.

Having already given one penalty that MK thought was controversial, he's not going to give another somewhat controversial one to the away team.

Taken in isolation however, and anywhere else on the pitch, that's a foul and there's an argument for a yellow card. And that's the beauty of VAR - everything is on a case by case basis and does away with such refereeing unconscious bias. That said, even VAR can lead to dictacts and agendas as we saw in the WC (e.g. Maguire rugby tackle vs Stones shirt tug against Iran).