• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

MK Dons versus Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

Red Bill

I do think it was a penalty but the video proves what I was saying - the defender played the ball but played Nombe beforehand, therefore it’s a penalty.

Look at this shot (only just in the box, mind!):

View attachment 10893
Sorry but I have to disagree with you there FBH, I think it proves exactly the opposite. The defeders challenge cam in from the side so if he'd made contact the ball should have moved away to towards the touchline, but as we can see in the clip and in this frame the ball never changes direction. All we can see in that frame is that the defenders foot is behind the ball and in front of Nombe's legs.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sorry but I have to disagree with you there FBH, I think it proves exactly the opposite. The defeders challenge cam in from the side so if he'd made contact the ball should have moved away to towards the touchline, but as we can see in the clip and in this frame the ball never changes direction. All we can see in that frame is that the defenders foot is behind the ball and in front of Nombe's legs.
Indeed. The MK player did not touch the ball. The only argument is therefore was it inside/outside the box? And it's marginal. VAR may have said it was outside. But in the absence of that, I don't see how the ref could know for sure one way or the other at the speed they were running going. I sometimes run the line at kiddies football and I do often wonder how any human could possibly know for sure with some of the closer decisions.

Colesman Ballz

[QUOTE="Mr Jinx, post: I sometimes run the line at kiddies football and I do often wonder how any human could possibly know for sure with some of the closer decisions.
[/QUOTE]
I used to referee a lot of basketball matches. Ironically a lot of the difficult decisions to make, were on things that happened "right under your nose". The judgements are easier from distance when you get a wider perspective as the events unfold.

fred binneys head

Fair enough, I’ve seen it from a few angles now and believe the player kicked the ball with the front of his boot hence why the ball didn’t change direction. But it doesn’t matter anyway, it was given and we won!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Amazing that it is Tuesday after a match and we are debating a penalty we were given!

Leads

Amazing that it is Tuesday after a match and we are debating a penalty we were given!
It makes a change! Normally the standard football fan response is as follows: When a dodgy penalty is given against you- complain endlessly, reference potential bias from the 'authorities', moan about if a ref from such and such game 6 years ago is officiating this weekend because of that debatable incident when a penalty was/wasn't awarded. When a dodgy penalty is given for you- try and avoid mentioning it, shut down anyone that dares to question it, try and justify it being awarded by saying that we should have had a penalty awarded in a previous match.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
It makes a change! Normally the standard football fan response is as follows: When a dodgy penalty is given against you- complain endlessly, reference potential bias from the 'authorities', moan about if a ref from such and such game 6 years ago is officiating this weekend because of that debatable incident when a penalty was/wasn't awarded. When a dodgy penalty is given for you- try and avoid mentioning it, shut down anyone that dares to question it, try and justify it being awarded by saying that we should have had a penalty awarded in a previous match.
I see where you are coming from and to some extent what you type is true, but end of the day regardless of the debate and how that ends, it doesn't change the decision or the result of the match.

Red Bill

Fair enough, I’ve seen it from a few angles now and believe the player kicked the ball with the front of his boot hence why the ball didn’t change direction. But it doesn’t matter anyway, it was given and we won!
And that's all that really matters as you say!

Mr Jinx

Indeed, especially when we should be debating the ones we didn't get.

Alistair20000

Such is Exeweb