• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 228 59.7%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.3%

• Total voters

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
11Exeter11615

That is where MT Left us after the Bristol Game. Season one was down to a combination of MT, KN and GC. Although GC's points per game, goals per game are lower, he did have 12 of those games against the formidable top 6 (If someone has a little more time than me they can split the points between the top six and everyone else for averages as we did pick up some points against the top six), but again overall I just felt we went backwards under him, but again that is subjective and my opinion of what I saw.

MT Earnt us 15 point from 11 matches. Average points 1.36
KN Earnt us 6 points 4 matches. Average Points 1.5
GC earnt us 35 points from 31 matches. Average points 1.12

Between them all we stayed up, all deserve credit for this imho. MT Got us promoted thus earning us season 1 in league one, MT, GC and KN then all came together to keep us up and all deserve some credit within last season in keeping us up.

This season GC has 39 points from 33 games. Average points 1.18.

This season IF we stay up GC would have earnt us season three.

We shall see what happens over the remaining 13 matches. We need IMHO another 11-12 points to stay up. So 4 wins in 13, or 3 wins and 3 draws or 13 draws would see us stay up imho

I cannot believe I have become embroiled in this argument. Gotta love Exeweb. Now, what colour is an Orange?

Last edited:

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
In the record books detailing league position's Gary Caldwell's name will be next to Exeter City League One. Not really sure what the pointless debate is about. Yes I get the first season was shared but and ... :ROFLMAO:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Caldwell you loon! 🤣
Right. So Taylor was responsible for our first season back in League One!

Caldwell responsible for this season by keeping us up last, and responsible for next season if he keeps us up again. 2.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
In the record books detailing league position's Gary Caldwell's name will be next to Exeter City League One. Not really sure what the pointless debate is about. Yes I get the first season was shared but and ... :ROFLMAO:
The argument seems to be that giving us "three successive seasons in league one" would push GC up the rankings towards best ever at ECFC. I would question some of the accounting.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Right. So Taylor was responsible for our first season back in League One!
Of course.
But GC will be responsible for securing three seasons in LG1. 👍

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The argument seems to be that giving us "three successive seasons in league one" would push GC up the rankings towards best ever at ECFC. I would question some of the accounting.
If Gary keeps Exeter City in the third tier for a third season by definition he is going to be one of the most successful manager's in our history given it's only happened twice before. It doesn't mean someone has to like him or love his style of football but keeping us in the third tier is successful in Exeter City terms that's a fact

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Keep going tavy, you’re wrong but this argument needs to continue. 100% Exeweb gold.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of course.
But GC will be responsible for securing three seasons in LG1. 👍
Explain to me how he secured our first season in League One.

GC will secure ECFC's third consecutive season in League One, but he can only take credit for the first two. As your initial point was about where he should rank in our all time great manager, I sense a subtle pivot.

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Keep going tavy, you’re wrong but this argument needs to continue. 100% Exeweb gold.
I might have to hand over the baton, I've got a day job to get on with 😂

Grecian_Matt

MT was more responsible for keeping us in L1 last season.
We were pushing the play offs and had a good points haul before he left.

GC took over and just managed to keep us ticking and we were lucking we had enough points in the bag come end of March, as our form at the end was awful.

If we stay in L1 this season, which we should do now then GC is responsible for this season.

GC is also responsible for the most boring football I have seen at the Grecians in a very very long time.