• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Gary keeps Exeter City in the third tier for a third season by definition he is going to be one of the most successful manager's in our history given it's only happened twice before. It doesn't mean someone has to like him or love his style of football but keeping us in the third tier is successful in Exeter City terms that's a fact
If we stay up, then Gary leaves for a big championship club next March, with us sitting pretty in the play off spots.... Then we appoint Barry Chuckle who loses every remaining game, and we finish midtable... I think any fair minded observer would conclude that giving us four seasons in league one would push Barry Chuckle right to the top of our best ever managers chart.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
The argument seems to be that giving us "three successive seasons in league one" would push GC up the rankings towards best ever at ECFC. I would question some of the accounting.
That’s undeniable. GC being successful in getting us to compete at this level for an extended period would make him one of our best.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
That’s undeniable. GC being successful in getting us to compete at this level for an extended period would make him one of our best.
That's a different point

denzel

I’m on my third coffee, perhaps I’ve had too many! 😎
Perhaps I’m not explaining myself properly but if we’re talking (as I am!) about a run of consecutive seasons in it’s totality, GC is hopefully about to give us three in the third tier.
But if he'd lost every game and been sacked last season he'd have 'given us one...OK then...

tavyred

Explain to me how he secured our first season in League One.

GC will secure ECFC's third consecutive season in League One, but he can only take credit for the first two. As your initial point was about where he should rank in our all time great manager, I sense a subtle pivot.
No pivot BB.
I stated the quite clear fact that GC avoiding relegation would give us three consecutive seasons of third tier football, you in your desire to not give GC credit for anything and in this case the initial promotion to this level muddied the waters a bit.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
We are in League 1 and Gary is our Manager that is all I know

Grecian Max

No, KMT gave us the initial promotion, three consecutive seasons in LG1 will be down to GC.
Look at this spin 😂 😂

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
No pivot BB.
I stated the quite clear fact that GC avoiding relegation would give us three consecutive seasons of third tier football, you in your desire to not give GC credit for anything and in this case the initial promotion to this level muddied the waters a bit.
Your exact words were 'where would you rank the achievement of GC giving us three consecutive seasons of third tier football'

He hasn't given us three consecutive seasons of third tier football, though he might deliver the club its third consecutive season of third tier football (here's hoping).

I am sure at this point that you're deliberately failing to acknowledge the difference, so will park it there.

The argument seems to be that giving us "three successive seasons in league one" would push GC up the rankings towards best ever at ECFC. I would question some of the accounting.
Got to love football, Caldwell's gone from a safeguard should have been sacked to potentially on course to being our greatest ever manager in the space of 6 weeks.

STURTZ

MT was more responsible for keeping us in L1 last season.
We were pushing the play offs and had a good points haul before he left.

GC took over and just managed to keep us ticking and we were lucking we had enough points in the bag come end of March, as our form at the end was awful.

If we stay in L1 this season, which we should do now then GC is responsible for this season.

GC is also responsible for the most boring football I have seen at the Grecians in a very very long time.
Who kept Rotherham up then?

Confused.