• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
We could still quite easily go down that’s for sure and if that were to happen I’ve no issue with serious questions being asked as to whether GC remains our manager. Thankfully the more likely scenario now is that we stay up, if that were to happen where would you rank the achievement of GC giving us three consecutive seasons of third tier football?
Genuine question.
He will have only given us 2 consecutive seasons, as the first one was given to us by KMT.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
He will have only given us 2 consecutive seasons, as the first one was given to us by KMT.
No, KMT gave us the initial promotion, three consecutive seasons in LG1 will be down to GC.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, KMT gave us the initial promotion, three consecutive seasons in LG1 will be down to GC.
No. GC would have had that first season in League One even if he lost every game and we were relegated. Competing in any particular division is always a result of the outcome of the previous season.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
We could still quite easily go down that’s for sure and if that were to happen I’ve no issue with serious questions being asked as to whether GC remains our manager. Thankfully the more likely scenario now is that we stay up, if that were to happen where would you rank the achievement of GC giving us three consecutive seasons of third tier football?
Genuine question.
I said at the start of the season staying up would be a good starting point for GC and could be considered a decent season (But I suppose it has to be the minimum expectation on any manager at us), but yet Again though it is another season where I feel the tactical approach is holding us back. I felt this last season although it was significantly clearer to see last season. Last season GC Changed things tactically in March and achieved a fantastic month of results which ultimately led to us ensuring safety. Last seasons side imho would have finished 8-10 points better off though without the managerial changes and the tactics implemented by GC imho. But again that is subjective and in the past.

Ultimately to play the way GC wants us to play, you need to have one of the better sides in the division (I Know GC Kept referring to MK Don's style of play, but I have always felt we are trying to emulate Bolton in our style of play and approach as they are probably along with Ipswich the two most successful sides are implementing the way we are trying to pla). Another disappointment this season is the lack of willing to change things tactically either for different games or during games. There are too many examples (The most recent being Bristol) where we just moved players around asking them to approach it exactly the same way just with a different player in the position. I am hoping we will see some movement on this if things aren't going our way in matches.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Season one was down to MT Getting us up and then a combination of MT / GC keeping us up (Although I have outlined my issues with GC's management of our side last season an awful lot and would rather focus on this season in discussions now).

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Season one was down to MT Getting us up and then a combination of MT / GC keeping us up (Although I have outlined my issues with GC's management of our side last season an awful lot and would rather focus on this season in discussions now).
Exactly.

Tavy's logic is bizarre. It would credit a new manager with our next season in League One if GC kept us up but left after 2 games of the new term.

tavyred

Fellas. This is weird.
Although not responsible for the promotion itself, two seasons where you stave off relegation and preserve your league status means by definition that you’ve given the club three seasons in LG1.
That’s just a fact.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fellas. This is weird.
Although not responsible for the promotion itself, two seasons where you stave off relegation and preserve your league status means by definition that you’ve given the club three seasons in LG1.
That’s just a fact.
I think the point being made is that GC wasn't alone responsible in keeping us up last season. Either way if (Big IF Still) we stay up this season, then we have had 3 seasons in League one which is great, but with the club in such a healthy position, we seriously need to ensure we kick on a little bit now and make ourselves a reasonable mid table league one side consistently. That is the next aim / goal.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fellas. This is weird.
That’s just a fact.
No, it really doesn't.

The promotion from league two gave us the first season in league one.

Think you need another coffee this morning.

tavyred

No, it really doesn't.

The promotion from league two gave us the first season in league one.

Think you need another coffee this morning.
I’m on my third coffee, perhaps I’ve had too many! 😎
Perhaps I’m not explaining myself properly but if we’re talking (as I am!) about a run of consecutive seasons in it’s totality, GC is hopefully about to give us three in the third tier.