• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will Covid save Matt Taylor’s job?

dontpassback

Whilst we are still a league 2 club,it is never a bad thing to have aspirations to improve,others have mentioned Cambridge,Gillingham,etc but you could also add Accy Stanley,Morecambe and Cheltenham to the list,none of those teams get the gates we could get but they manage well,and whilst Morecambe are struggling since adams left,you have to ask why the team who beat us at Wembley in the play off final are now in league one having achieved it with a budget probably lower than ours last season,the same could be said of Accy although it’s fair to say John Coleman has an eye for the talented youngsters leaving Everton etc and geographically they probably find it easier to get them than we would.When we got promoted from the conference we went straight up to league one,and I can see Sutton doing the same,they seem to have a steely determination to to well,and I would like to know what there budget is compared to ours,we made a good start to the season but it has stuttered,do we really have the ambition for league one or are we quite content to be there or thereabouts in league 2 and at the same time producing good young players who eventually leave for bigger and better things ?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whilst we are still a league 2 club,it is never a bad thing to have aspirations to improve,others have mentioned Cambridge,Gillingham,etc but you could also add Accy Stanley,Morecambe and Cheltenham to the list,none of those teams get the gates we could get but they manage well,and whilst Morecambe are struggling since adams left,you have to ask why the team who beat us at Wembley in the play off final are now in league one having achieved it with a budget probably lower than ours last season,the same could be said of Accy although it’s fair to say John Coleman has an eye for the talented youngsters leaving Everton etc and geographically they probably find it easier to get them than we would.When we got promoted from the conference we went straight up to league one,and I can see Sutton doing the same,they seem to have a steely determination to to well,and I would like to know what there budget is compared to ours,we made a good start to the season but it has stuttered,do we really have the ambition for league one or are we quite content to be there or thereabouts in league 2 and at the same time producing good young players who eventually leave for bigger and better things ?
With the exception of Accy and Wycombe, both of which have outstanding managers and punch above their weight most of the clubs recently in League Two are struggling to stay in League One. Morecambe and Crewe look like they will be returning whilst any of Cambridge, Wimbledon and surprisingly Lincoln could be relegated. Therefore, getting promoted is one thing but sustaining it beyond 2 or 3 seasons is clearly another to the clubs (like us) that have smaller gates at L1 level. We are getting ever closer to the type of team Matt Taylor wants and maybe after such a huge rebuilding of the squad doing it in one season would require slices of luck which injuries to Nombe and Dieng in particular we havent had. Therefore, if we dont do it this season I wont be either slitting my wrists or calling for a kneejerk sacking of the manager. Recruitment this summer wont require root and branch but fine tuning with three or four quality additions only needed. I dont think we are far off where we need to be and that's why Matt seems so relaxed in his interviews.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Judging by the success of this summer's recruitment (Ray, Nombe, Dawson, Brown and notably Dieng) we are taking other club's dead wood and polishing a turd into silver :) We are light years away from the era of only recruiting from the Bristol area
Just thinking of this particular window complete with Covid and all . There may not be much movement so hope we don’t get other teams leftovers.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
With the exception of Accy and Wycombe, both of which have outstanding managers and punch above their weight most of the clubs recently in League Two are struggling to stay in League One.
Wycombe have got quite wealthy owners now, hence being able to afford the likes of Sam Vokes.

Antony Moxey

This article from someone who should now would suggest we're in the best state we've ever been?

Yes, well done. Doesn’t answer my question though. The club could be better off financially because it’s giving less to the manager to spend for all anyone knows. So, in actual pounds and pence, does anyone know what the manager’s is, and what it’s been for the previous ten seasons? I’d like to be in the know as it appears everyone else is and don’t want to feel left out.

ExmouthMart

Ah well, Bolton awaits as you wish us farewell maybe.
Don’t forget i8cornwall is The Chief Organiser of the match day atmosphere and if you drive him away who are all the new supporters flocking in under Project 6000 going to look to or listen for when for example we score a goal?! They will all be stood around like sheep……

ExmouthMart

With the exception of Accy and Wycombe, both of which have outstanding managers and punch above their weight most of the clubs recently in League Two are struggling to stay in League One. Morecambe and Crewe look like they will be returning whilst any of Cambridge, Wimbledon and surprisingly Lincoln could be relegated. Therefore, getting promoted is one thing but sustaining it beyond 2 or 3 seasons is clearly another to the clubs (like us) that have smaller gates at L1 level. We are getting ever closer to the type of team Matt Taylor wants and maybe after such a huge rebuilding of the squad doing it in one season would require slices of luck which injuries to Nombe and Dieng in particular we havent had. Therefore, if we dont do it this season I wont be either slitting my wrists or calling for a kneejerk sacking of the manager. Recruitment this summer wont require root and branch but fine tuning with three or four quality additions only needed. I dont think we are far off where we need to be and that's why Matt seems so relaxed in his interviews.
I think he’s relaxed in the interviews because it’s pretty soft questioning and when he does get a question he’s not keen on, eg the one about McArdle after the Harrogate game, you can start to see the toys coming out the pram. As he said after yesterday’s game. It’s a results based business. Judge him on that.

Grecian2K

Don’t forget i8cornwall is The Chief Organiser of the match day atmosphere and if you drive him away who are all the new supporters flocking in under Project 6000 going to look to or listen for when for example we score a goal?!
The Bolton Polytechnic Stadium?

Matt Russell

The Bolton Polytechnic Stadium?
Apologies i8, but I initially read that as Bolton Pyrotechnic Stadium.

dontpassback

I think he’s relaxed in the interviews because it’s pretty soft questioning and when he does get a question he’s not keen on, eg the one about McArdle after the Harrogate game, you can start to see the toys coming out the pram. As he said after yesterday’s game. It’s a results based business. Judge him on that.
The key quote is it’s a results based business,so we will have to wait and see,we aren’t a club that changes managers every 5 minutes,and that is a good stable platform for Matt Taylor to build on,but if we keep missing out,then supporters are bound to ask questions of our ambition