• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What radio station do you listen to?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The days when Radio One was piped through most factories shop floors, Our Tune, Bit like Popmaster on Radio Two today, People downed tools to listen,
My abiding memory of the Summer of 1984 was a group of us working on a council estate in Exmouth changing gas boilers.All stopping at Our Tune time to listen in & pass comment.
It appeared voyeuristic in a remote sort of way.Having problems with your partner,let us all in on the news
It was part of the working week as much as the Friday pub lunchtime session.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

My abiding memory of the Summer of 1984 was a group of us working on a council estate in Exmouth changing gas boilers.All stopping at Our Tune time to listen in & pass comment.
It appeared voyeuristic in a remote sort of way.Having problems with your partner,let us all in on the news
Totally relate to that Olds.

Alistair20000

Boom Radio for wrinklies like me.
Boom Wireless is shirley a better station ?

Mr Jinx

My abiding memories of that time, also in Exmouth, with regards to Radio revolved around the Radio 1 Top 20 chart reveal which I think was on Tuesday lunchtimes. The number one reveal clashed with us returning to school after our of premise lunchtimes and so we were always 5 minutes late back on that day.

Oldsmobile-88

My abiding memories of that time, also in Exmouth, with regards to Radio revolved around the Radio 1 Top 20 chart reveal which I think was on Tuesday lunchtimes. The number one reveal clashed with us returning to school after our of premise lunchtimes and so we were always 5 minutes late back on that day.
I bet you bunked off for the Radio 1 Roadshow on the Sea Front in those days.😎

iscalad

Remember when Kylie starred. Mayhem

Oldsmobile-88

Remember when Kylie starred. Mayhem
Yep...The population of Exmouth doubled that day.

Mr Jinx

Dyou know what...I don't think I ever went.

As I was a little older, there was the time that Kylie was an unannounced surprise Roadshow guest. I think it was around '88 so very early days in her singing career. Anyway, she stayed overnight at the Royal Beacon Hotel, which just so happened to be our regular watering hole. But of course the night she stayed, not knowing of this mystery guest, we had already decided to give it a miss. Then the next day we heard all the tales. Bah.

Spoonz Red E

That's the bit George Orwell missed.

angelic upstart

I was at the Kylie radio one roadshow. One of the littleham bods was up on stage with Rick Astley as he was there seemingly randomly as well. I think the Quo were on the Exmouth roadshow the following year.