• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes , what a slug Stalin was , on a par with Hitler but 'on our side.' Just as big a war criminal as Snicklegruber.
It gets worse. After executing those poor Poles, Stalin rounded up their families and close relatives ( said to be well over 60,000) and transported them to Siberia and Kazakhstan where they had, for the most part, to live in dugouts.

Churchill and Roosevelt read a report by Sir Owen O'malley, a British civil servant who laid the blame for the massacre at the feet of The Russians after the mass grave was discovered by the Germans. However, the report was suppressed by both not wanting to antagonise a potential ally. When the Russians recovered the ground lost to the Germans, they disinterred the corpses and planted documents with falsified dates so as to incriminate the Germans. Also, witnesses who originally blames the Russians suddenly decided the Germans were the culprits.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
An interesting yet horrible part of our history Stuffy.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
The fall of the house of fifa by David Conn. Hard going in places but interesting.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Secret Executioners by Danny Baz (ex Israeli air force colonel)

The true story of the death squad that tracked down and killed Nazi war criminals - or so I thought!

I thought I'd check out the author only to find that that Baz has been fiercely condemned by the Wiesenthal Centre and other Nazi hunters.

"This is a bunch of balony", says said Eli Rosenbaum, director of the Nazi-hunting office of special Investigations at the U.S. Justice Department.

After just the one chapter the book has gone into the recycling bin.

Banksy

I hate finding that out after I've started a book , very good of you not to charity shop it so some poor unsuspecting sucker could make the same mistake.
When your review started off I was beginning to get interested!
Mind you most of these nazis must be around a hundred now!

Last edited:

grecian55

The Force -Don Winslow, best book i've read in quite a while .

Swanaldo

Racecourses in Winter

It's hard going.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Racecourses in Winter

It's hard going.
:D

No Hunger in Paradise by Michael Calvin

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Battle Of Jutland 1916 by George Bonney

Although the book deals primarily with the sea battle and it's aftermath, it's interesting to note that Britain first became alarmed at Germany's growing military might during the Franco-Prussian war of 1870 -1. This war was provoked largely by Otto von Bismarck (the Prussian chancellor)as part of his plan for a unified German Empire. The French have been none too happy ever since.

Although Bismarck despised democracy (nothing new there), he did not trust private enterprise to look after the workforce who provided their profits; his introduction of insurance against sickness, accidents and old age pensions gave German workers benefits their British counterparts wouldn't receive for many years to come.

Who won the battle? Germany claimed victory because British losses amounted to 6,784 men and 111,000 tons, while German losses were 3,058 men and 62,000 tons. The Royal Navy claimed victory for Britain because the German fleet dashed back to the safety of it's harbour never to put to sea again during the entire war except to surrender and it's internment at Scapa Flow in the Orkney's.

Mr Jinx

Steve Coogan's Autobiography - Easily Distracted.

Not really his biggest fan, but I'm loving this book. I'd recommend it for anyone around the age of 50. It recollects growing up in the Seventies & Eighties superbly.