What book are you reading ...

Red Lion

Fever , I've finally gotten round to starting 'I Am Pilgrim'.
Starting to get absorbed by it , good so far , but by the size of it it will take me a fair few weeks before I can sum it up!
Sooo, lots of talk about this book, but no explanations, what's the gist of it? Am I missing out, did I ought to give it a go?
Just asking like!

Banksy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sooo, lots of talk about this book, but no explanations, what's the gist of it? Am I missing out, did I ought to give it a go?
Just asking like!
Ex CIA man tracks terrorist with side tracks along the way , any connection to Plymouth Argyle purely coincidental , long at 900 pages , 295 read so far. I'm enjoying it and would give a provisional 9/10.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
How to Be a Movie Star: Elizabeth Taylor in Hollywood. Book by William J Mann.

Although Taylor's mother Sara Sothern had limited success as an actress she was determined her daughter would become a star. The strange thing is that Mrs Taylor wrote frequently to Hedda Hopper the L A Times entertainment gossip columnist to put a good word in for Elizabeth regarding the up and coming casting of the film, 'National Velvet.'

Later in life, Hedda Hopper increasingly became the Hollywood star's bitterest critic, accusing her of immorally stealing Eddie Fisher from Debbie Reynolds and Richard Burton from his wife Sybil.

Banksy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Finally finished I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes.
A few convenient coincidences along the way to help the story flow , but I stick by my original rating of 9/10.
A long book but an absorbing read.

elginCity

Well-known Exeweb poster
Finally finished I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes.
A few convenient coincidences along the way to help the story flow , but I stick by my original rating of 9/10.
A long book but an absorbing read.
Enjoyed the story, but the 'coincidences' took the edge off it for me, thought them unnecessary. A thriller, especially a factually-based one, has to be believable. 7/10

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Behind Closed Doors: Stalin, The Nazis and The West. by Laurence Rees

Almost immediately the author delves into The Katyn massacre where 4000 Polish army officers, doctors, authors and academics were murdered by our future Russian allies. Katyn turned out to be one of three sites used for the mass killing of 21,857 of Poland's leading citizens.

In 1991 a general called Dmitry Tokarev explained that killings were mostly done at night in two rooms that had been lined with velvet in order to muffle the noise of gunfire. Each prisoner was brought in and his name checked against a list. Next he was handcuffed and taken into the adjoining room where he was shot in the back of the head. The body was removed and the whole process repeated.

Mercifully I hope that is the last of the horror I will be reading about as Churchill has arrived in Moscow to be met by a sneering, ranting Stalin who keeps asking for more and more supplies and persistently pleas for a second front.

Banksy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes , what a slug Stalin was , on a par with Hitler but 'on our side.' Just as big a war criminal as Snicklegruber.

Last edited: