• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've got a few on the list but i'm not offended. :D(y)
That's cos you're from Yorkshire.

No offence like! (said in full George Whitebread accent)

Legohead

Banned
My thoughts on using hand sanitizers in shops and supermarkets.

You go in, sanitize your hands (well i don't but that's bye the bye). Then the very first item you pick up from the shelves is potentially contaminated but you pick it up and put it in your trolley. Now your hands are potentially contaminated from the item you've just picked up and unless you sanitize hands after that and between every item touched, which nobody does, then it renders the whole thing utterly pointless does it not? So no need for sanitizer? Just a theory.

I've also just emailed the school and withdrawn my consent for my daughter to have the 3 in school tests. Given they aren't backed up by the PCR test for some idiotic and bizarre reason then i'll wait until the week after and we have to home test because then we WILL be allowed to confirm any positive home test with a much more reliable PCR test.

Again, not the schools fault but the fault of a consistently inept Government. Why no PCR test for the first round of testing in schools?!! Lunacy.

Mr Jinx

My thoughts on using hand sanitizers in shops and supermarkets.

You go in, sanitize your hands (well i don't but that's bye the bye). Then the very first item you pick up from the shelves is potentially contaminated but you pick it up and put it in your trolley. Now your hands are potentially contaminated from the item you've just picked up and unless you sanitize hands after that and between every item touched, which nobody does, then it renders the whole thing utterly pointless does it not? So no need for sanitizer? Just a theory.

I've also just emailed the school and withdrawn my consent for my daughter to have the 3 in school tests. Given they aren't backed up by the PCR test for some idiotic and bizarre reason then i'll wait until the week after and we have to home test because then we WILL be allowed to confirm any positive home test with a much more reliable PCR test.

Again, not the schools fault but the fault of a consistently inept Government. Why no PCR test for the first round of testing in schools?!! Lunacy.
So you don't wear protective gloves whilst in the supermarket? If you don't then all bets are off anyway unless you sanitize them every couple of mins.

Legohead

Banned
No. What i do is go and do my shopping as normal. Don't put my fingers in my mouth or eyes on the way round and then when the shopping is packed away in the car i then sanitize my hands. Which is all we've all ever needed to do. Sanitizer obsession in supermarkets not required.

LOG

I think you've got to take a practical view with shopping. I sanitize on the way in and out and whilst i'm not sure it makes a huge difference and i don't know how long it's super powers last, it doesn't do any harm. You can wear gloves if you want to but that's a waste of time if you then instinctively touch your face. I try to keep my distance but that only works if everyone does.

As for picking it up from a can of beans, what are the chances of that really? If you're that worried, take the tin from the back of the tray. As for washing shopping, that's not something i've ever done. I mean, where would it stop?

iscalad

I think you've got to take a practical view with shopping. I sanitize on the way in and out and whilst i'm not sure it makes a huge difference and i don't know how long it's super powers last, it doesn't do any harm. You can wear gloves if you want to but that's a waste of time if you then instinctively touch your face. I try to keep my distance but that only works if everyone does.

As for picking it up from a can of beans, what are the chances of that really? If you're that worried, take the tin from the back of the tray. As for washing shopping, that's not something i've ever done. I mean, where would it stop?
Much too sensible for some pm here

IndoMike

Let's hope there's not another war : we're fukced if there is..

Alistair20000

As isca says much too sensible. You are making your own risk assessments.

I expect government scientists and civil servants could advise you fully on safe washing of shopping items: temperature of the water, how long to run it for, throwing away the drying implement/material safely etc.

They might also point out that matey who put the tray of beans on the shelf may have touched the tin at the back (because it may have been at the front when he took it in to stack) and left a speck of Covid on it. This assumes he was not wearing his plastic gloves at the time, or if he was there may have been a small tear in them or the speck of Covid was already on the gloves.

As regards hand sanitising, an excess of this may thin the skin and lead to mild alcohol addiction.

Stay safe, shop safely, wash shopping even more safely, save the NHS, enjoy the micro management.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Just what a supermarket worker needs is some stupid feckwit who doesn't sanitise anything.

Alistair20000

Just what a supermarket worker needs is some stupid feckwit who doesn't sanitise anything.
So if the hypothetical feckwit shopper sanitises some part of his anatomy but not the hands and fingers that is fine ?

More seriously, as a supermarket worker, what would you be expecting shoppers to do ? Serious question this as I think supermarket workers did a great job, particularly when Covid kicked off and before some of the safety measures such as the screens were put in. Respect needed for their wishes on this.