• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh no! You must be pulling your hair out Snakebite. That is just typical isn't it and the kind of thing that would happen to me. I'm concerned about the testing too as i don't want my daughter having to be off school again after 3 months off. Hopefully the 10 days will feel as though they go by quicker for you and your kid.

Agree though. It's total nonsense.

I'm concerned about the moral pressure on my kid about wearing masks in class. I'm interested to find out how many in class wear masks despite the school saying it's optional. I anticipate most to be wearing them and she'll then feel like the odd one out and want to wear one to conform. Then that opens up another can of worms.

I have told her that in no circumstances must she wear a mask during lessons no matter who or how many choose to do so.
I feel for Snakes little one but i guess that will always happen but the infection rate is going down so hopefully this will get rarer and rarer. I'd imagine at first parents will be anxious and might say at the school gate to their kids "Make sure you keep your mask on" or something like that but after time the kids and parents will feel more confident and I'd thought the head or form teacher will set out the schools policy on masks and say in no uncertain terms that bullying others into wearing them (Because some will be exempt) will not be tolerated. You'll find kids are far more adaptable than we realise, They'll be just glad to be back amoungst their friends.

Legohead

Banned
Found this:

Covid-19: School rapid test cannot be overruled, says minister - BBC News

From what i gather from trying to unravel this mess, my school are testing my child on Friday and then 2 days next week when they are back at school. So that's 3 lateral flow tests which the report suggests that many of these tests are not accurate.

Once they are back at school and being tested at home, any child testing positive will need to isolate and take a PCR test and if that is negative then the child can go back to school. Just that this first wave of testing they aren't using the PCR test to confirm any positive lateral flow tests. Therefore there is the chance that many, many children will test positive this week / next week during the initial batch of lateral flow testing who will be negative because the test is not reliable. Then that means the child missing another 10 days of school, like with Snakebite and it's really not acceptable.

Why can the PCR test not be used with immediate effect?

Bit of a joke really.

I'm in two minds whether to contact the school to refuse testing until the PCR tests come into play.

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

And so I'm having my vaccine tomorrow.

This is way ahead of when I was wanting to take it but it was the only way I could get the wife to take one (hers is booked at the same time).

There's every chance she'll chicken out at the last moment yet again, but this time I'll carry her kicking and screaming back into the tent.

Alistair20000

This is way ahead of when I was wanting to take it but it was the only way I could get the wife to take one (hers is booked at the same time).

There's every chance she'll chicken out at the last moment yet again, but this time I'll carry her kicking and screaming back into the tent.
No bullying please Jinxy :)

tavyred

Be honest Jinxy, factoring in your earlier comments about your willingness to take a vaccine, you and the Mrs have collapsed like a pack of cards. 😀

DB9

Good luck with that Jinxy, Hopefully the vaccine centre will have the number of Relate for you to call afterwards. :) I've been booked in for mine next Tuesday now they've reached my age group.

Mr Jinx

Be honest Jinxy, factoring in your earlier comments about your willingness to take a vaccine, you and the Mrs have collapsed like a pack of cards. 😀
Absolutely. I just don't want another summer consigned to the dustbin.

If I were on my own, or not married to an agoraphobic, hypochondriac, thanatophobic sufferer of Munchausen syndrome, I definitely wouldn't be having it now (or possibly at all).

Last edited:

DB9

If I were on my own, or not married to an agoraphobic, hypochondriac, thanatophobic sufferer of Munchausen's disease, I definitely wouldn't be having it now (or possibly at all).
You realise you've offended at least one group with that list! You'll be outed as (Insert here) phobic. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

tavyred

If I were on my own, or not married to an agoraphobic, hypochondriac, thanatophobic sufferer of Munchausen's disease, I definitely wouldn't be having it now (or possibly at all).
I do get jinxy that some people with legitimate vaccine concerns have had their spirit to resist broken down by the drudgery of a near 12 month lockdown. Good luck to you and the Mrs, as a whippersnapper of 54 years I’m hoping it’s my turn in 2-3 weeks time. 👍

Legohead

Banned
I've got a few on the list but i'm not offended. :D(y)