• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Legohead

Banned
If we could know that once we have had the virus that a second re-infection would be less problematic then that would be a big help. If someone gets the virus and ends up in hospital with it then knowing that would be the same again (or worse) if they got it again (if you can get it again) would basically mean that these people would end up staying at home forever or until a vaccine. We of course do not know as you say and with no knowledge to go on it's unwise to trust a politician when he says it's OK to go and do X for example.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
If both the above were known then it's obviously easier for a lot of people to continue their lives. If not then the vaccine is the solution yet we are also told that no other coronavirus has a vaccine. Is this true or again, something that no bugger knows?
I think I'm right in saying that no coronavirus has a vaccine. SARS certainly doesn't and they've been banging that drum for nearly 20 years. Although there hasn't been a case reported for something like 15 years, so it eventually stopped itself. Of course it's much less infectious than covid-19, although a higher death rate.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we could know that once we have had the virus that a second re-infection would be less problematic then that would be a big help. If someone gets the virus and ends up in hospital with it then knowing that would be the same again (or worse) if they got it again (if you can get it again) would basically mean that these people would end up staying at home forever or until a vaccine. We of course do not know as you say and with no knowledge to go on it's unwise to trust a politician when he says it's OK to go and do X for example.
I'm not an expert (as much as I pretend to be), but immunity isn't as simple as that. You don't necessarily retain the antibodies for life. Hence why you have booster shots etc. Using the example of SARS again, they reckon that the antibodies last about 2 years, so theoretically anyone who had it before could catch it again now.

Legohead

Banned
I'm not an expert (as much as I pretend to be), but immunity isn't as simple as that. You don't necessarily retain the antibodies for life. Hence why you have booster shots etc. Using the example of SARS again, they reckon that the antibodies last about 2 years, so theoretically anyone who had it before could catch it again now.
Be well over 2 years before any of us get tested to see if we've had it at this rate. :LOL:

I would put 10 grand on me having had the virus in December. 99% sure of it. Just need to get a test now before my antibodies disappear.

Legohead

Banned
Just checked the National Trust website and they are operating a pre bookable car parking ticket only. There are only about 8 properties open at the moment, most being in Norfolk and Cambs. The one near to where I used to live though Nostell Priory between Doncaster and Wakefield is open but the car park has sold out. A sign of things to come meaning I think unless everything re opens in the next month or so there will be no space for people with likely social distancing measures in place reducing capacity.

We might give nearby Rother Valley Country Park a try on Saturday as it's just around the corner and the car park is open but only half the cars are allowed in to space them out. Also the amenities are closed.

If there is a ridiculous amount of people there meaning you have to zig zag around people on your way around the lake every 2 minutes then I really can't be arsed with that and will go home.

We'll see what happens but desperately need to get out somewhere on Saturday. I don't think driving to the Yorkshire coast is a sensible option although I am so desperate to see the sea again.

I really wish i had a small motorhome. :cry:

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Be well over 2 years before any of us get tested to see if we've had it at this rate. :LOL:

I would put 10 grand on me having had the virus in December. 99% sure of it. Just need to get a test now before my antibodies disappear.
I'd gladly wager. Very much doubt you had it in Dec. If you got it, it would've been after then, but even then, I still doubt you've had it.

Latest figures in from laissez faire Sweden is that only 7.3% of their population have actually caught the thing. They were hoping a lot more would've had it (predictions were between 20-30% would've had it by now), but it scuppers the theory that this thing spreads like wildfire. That's the media blowing it all up as they always do best.

Rosencrantz

I'd gladly wager. Very much doubt you had it in Dec. If you got it, it would've been after then, but even then, I still doubt you've had it.

Latest figures in from laissez faire Sweden is that only 7.3% of their population have actually caught the thing. They were hoping a lot more would've had it (predictions were between 20-30% would've had it by now), but it scuppers the theory that this thing spreads like wildfire. That's the media blowing it all up as they always do best.
At least the Swedish government have admitted their care home mistakes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/21/just-7-per-cent-of-stockholm-had-covid-19-antibodies-by-end-of-april-study-sweden-coronavirus

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lego. The most sensible summaries of where we are medically that I have consistently read throughout this crisis are in Private Eye, believe it or not. They are written by a Doctor (pseudonmym M.D) and separate out facts and conjecture in a balanced way. PE can never be accused of being a Tory, or establishment rag, but whilst heavily critical of the care home and PPE fiasco and the ongoing lack of the much needed track, trace, isolate system - generally the tone is not scathing.

In this week's issue for example it sets out that the risk of dying from it for the under 14's is 1 in 5,337,266 compared to 1 in 81 (yes 1 in 81) for the Over 90's. U14's are more likely to be killed by lightning.

There is advice on how to avoid catching it - avoid enclosed spaces for long periods, and as well as coughing and sneexing, singing or loud shouting can spread it more greatly - and if you do catch it, how to reduce the impact. Essentially be as healthy as you can, given you can't do anything about your age.

Well worth £2 IMHO

IndoMike

I'm surprised you hold up Sweden as a shining light. It has one of the highest death per capita ratios in the world and has done relatively few tests. Think we can find much better examples to follow...

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyway, another thing I noticed today on my walk was the amount of traffic is getting back to normal I see and all the boy racer cnuts are out in force too. The one thing about winter which I enjoy is that you don't get some total cherry whooshing past you at a hundred miles per hour blasting out some rap music about rape or something at 10,000 decibels. Because it's too cold or raining.

Also the number of flights I have seen from my garden has greatly increased. Seen 6 in the last hour alone whereas throughout the entirety of the first 8-9 weeks of lockdown I saw about 2.
What you saw today was the Ryanair planes from East Midlands, they took them up one by one, flew them round the block a few times and brought them back again. Ryanair are keeping their aircraft in a constant state of airworthiness by doing this periodically.

I meant to tell you this last time they did it and you commented but didn't get around to it.