• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are you saying Education is now a Business?
Successive governments have turned university education into a business, despite the fact (as already mentioned) it's an unsustainable model.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well if the social media & news pictures are anything to go by,as usual anything the UK does will eventually be a complete shambles.
A expensive one too,In lives & future prosperity of the country.

This new trace App being talked about(if it ever gets off the ground)
A infected person gets a call..Where were you last week & who did you come into contact with ?
I was at Brighton beach,no idea who I was around !

Mr Jinx

Well if the social media & news pictures are anything to go by,as usual anything the UK does will eventually be a complete shambles.
A expensive one too,In lives & future prosperity of the country.

This new trace App being talked about(if it ever gets off the ground)
A infected person gets a call..Where were you last week & who did you come into contact with ?
I was at Brighton beach,no idea who I was around !
Aye, but it's damned if it does and damned if it doesn't.

Meanwhile in Sweden, who are taking probably the most relaxed stance, deaths are only up a little whilst their economy holds relatively strong.

Rosencrantz

Aye, but it's damned if it does and damned if it doesn't.

Meanwhile in Sweden, who are taking probably the most relaxed stance, deaths are only up a little whilst their economy holds relatively strong.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/11673259/swedens-coronavirus-death-toll-highest-world/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/46733256-5a84-4429-89e0-8cce9d4095e4

As always time will no doubt tell but there is a trade off between mortality and economy and how much you value either. As above shows, Sweden are now among the highest per capita for mortality in the world and way ahead of their neighbours who are now opening up again. They are showing no real signs of meaningful reduction in new cases, it's marginally coming down but not as steadily as in other countries with lockdowns.

As those countries who have safeguarded their public's health now start to reboot their economies it remains to be seen how quickly they manage to turn around.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/13/new-zealand-budget-no-playbook-for-covid-19-economic-recovery-says-ardern

Comparing almost any country with the UK though in either mortality or economy will make them them look better.

Legohead

Banned
1. Do we know if any immunity is achieved by contracting Covid 19? I find it odd that at the very beginning of all this the scientific advice was to try and achieve herd immunity and then I read today that a scientist says that because Covid 19 is a coronavirus, as is the common cold then there can be no immunity with a coronavirus. So wtf is going on there for a kick off? Does anyone actually know if we have some sort of immunity to this virus or not?

If not then is it likely that Covid 19 will present in the population as a much less dangerous infection the longer it's been around? Does anyone know this?

It seems to me that despite this virus being around for nearly half a year now, nobody knows sod all about it.

If both the above were known then it's obviously easier for a lot of people to continue their lives. If not then the vaccine is the solution yet we are also told that no other coronavirus has a vaccine. Is this true or again, something that no bugger knows?

All very confusing.

It would be helpful to know the most elementary of facts about this virus before sending our kids to school / restarting work / deciding to see family members when the time comes etc etc instead of being bullsh*tted by the line 'the science tells us X'. The science is telling me p*ss all at the moment tbh.

Mr Jinx

1. Do we know if any immunity is achieved by contracting Covid 19? I find it odd that at the very beginning of all this the scientific advice was to try and achieve herd immunity and then I read today that a scientist says that because Covid 19 is a coronavirus, as is the common cold then there can be no immunity with a coronavirus. So wtf is going on there for a kick off? Does anyone actually know if we have some sort of immunity to this virus or not?

If not then is it likely that Covid 19 will present in the population as a much less dangerous infection the longer it's been around? Does anyone know this?

It seems to me that despite this virus being around for nearly half a year now, nobody knows sod all about it.

If both the above were known then it's obviously easier for a lot of people to continue their lives. If not then the vaccine is the solution yet we are also told that no other coronavirus has a vaccine. Is this true or again, something that no bugger knows?

All very confusing.

It would be helpful to know the most elementary of facts about this virus before sending our kids to school / restarting work / deciding to see family members when the time comes etc etc instead of being bullsh*tted by the line 'the science tells us X'. The science is telling me p*ss all at the moment tbh.
It's new. There's a lot they or we won't know for a while. Hang in there buddy.

Legohead

Banned
So how are we expected to make decisions based on information that may be inaccurate or information that isn't known yet? Just some clarity and honesty wouldn't go amiss.

Legohead

Banned
Anyway, another thing I noticed today on my walk was the amount of traffic is getting back to normal I see and all the boy racer cnuts are out in force too. The one thing about winter which I enjoy is that you don't get some total cherry whooshing past you at a hundred miles per hour blasting out some rap music about rape or something at 10,000 decibels. Because it's too cold or raining.

Also the number of flights I have seen from my garden has greatly increased. Seen 6 in the last hour alone whereas throughout the entirety of the first 8-9 weeks of lockdown I saw about 2.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
So how are we expected to make decisions based on information that may be inaccurate or information that isn't known yet? Just some clarity and honesty wouldn't go amiss.
And the Governments the world over have the same problem, just magnified as they are having to base instructions on this inaccurate and partial information.
Every day new research comes out showing this and that, which adds to the overall knowledge of the virus and how it behaves.

Mr Jinx

Probably because there are some decisions that can't wait a year and need to be made now based on what little is known at the time. Sure, there'll be a few smokescreens, obfuscation and downright untruths spouted along the way. But hey, that's politics and politicians for you; it's what they do. Here to help ;)