• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sorry I missed this earlier. Lots of businesses are desperate enough to take the risk. They will simply close if the fine is unaffordable. It's a desperate situation for them. Sometimes there life's work ruined, and for what? Spurious, pretend lockdowns that have not worked. Wear a mask, but don't wear a mask if you don't feel like it. Go to work in the office, eat at the pub, but work from home, and don't do anything after 10pm unless it's a workplace canteen then it's okay and you can get ******. Self isolate when you have covid unless you're a politician or someone coming back on a flight as we'll have no idea about it.
Spaff 10 billion quid on an excel spreadsheet that doesn't work properly.
Literally, everything that could go wrong has, it's a shambles and I'm not certain it would have been much worse if everything carried on as normal.
No worries, I agree businesses are desperate but unfortunatly we, For better or worse vote in a Government to Govern and ultimatly make rules/laws we have to abide by. Even if we don't agree with them and this pandemic has made, In my view this Government wanting but you have to abide by the rules. I've lost my job purely because of this virus, I think it was unessacary but i have to deal with it. My only gripe is why come down hard on certain people but it seems others get away with it.

tavyred

Gold plated!! They will be CARE at best.
Yep.
Final salary pensions a thing of the past for the public sector now.
Probably not the best time for some on here to be bemoaning those in the public sector either, the Chancellor (quite rightly) has spaffed up billions bailing the private sector out by “keeping workers connected to their jobs” via the furlough schemes.

DB9

Yep.
Probably not the best time for some on here to be bemoaning those in the public sector either, the Chancellor (quite rightly) has spaffed up billions bailing the private sector out by “keeping workers connected to their jobs” via the furlough schemes.
Or you could say "Delaying the inevitable" for quite a few workers.

Oldsmobile-88

Yep.
There was a cut off date/age when the Final Salary Schemes stopped in the NHS/Police/Armed Forces.
Anyone within 15 years of retirement would not have had their entitlements altered I believe.

In the Gas Industry the FS Scheme was stopped for new starters after 2002,probably the same in the Electricity Industry.

tavyred

Or you could say "Delaying the inevitable" for quite a few workers.
Tragically, yes DB.

• Sad
Reactions: DB9

LOG

This week during the lockdown I've really pinged my CV out to jobs I've seen online and had two interviews face to face on the webcam, For an old git like me this is a very new experience and wondered if anyone who does online meetings etc on regular basis got any advice? I just felt very self conscious doing it this way.
I dreaded using video calls but you get used to them. I'm not sure about other systems but on Zoom you can turn off the self view so that whilst the other people can see you on their screens, you don't see yourself on your screen which i found quite helpful at first.

Oldsmobile-88

263A42AA-CBBD-4DF2-B4D6-DA386829CBF4.jpeg

• Haha

DB9

Interesting stats here:

Here's the rest of the article:

Spoonz Red E

Interesting stats here:

View attachment 3709

Here's the rest of the article:

These percentages as per age range are more or less consistent with what has been known for a while.
The new factor - Long Covid - is only apparent now the disease has been around a while and is mentioned in the same article.

".... there is rising recognition that a coronavirus infection can take a lasting toll on the body.
We don't know how long or exactly how many people are affected, but long-term fatigue and a whole host of other health problems have been reported.
These symptoms appear to affect young and old, as well as those who had even mild infections."

DB9

These percentages as per age range are more or less consistent with what has been known for a while.
The new factor - Long Covid - is only apparent now the disease has been around a while and is mentioned in the same article.

".... there is rising recognition that a coronavirus infection can take a lasting toll on the body.
We don't know how long or exactly how many people are affected, but long-term fatigue and a whole host of other health problems have been reported.
These symptoms appear to affect young and old, as well as those who had even mild infections."
Long Covid needs to be looked into and now those studies are being ramped up but at the moment all the scientists and studies agree the vast majority of people who get it have mild symptoms and recover fully and quickly. Unfortunately peoples bodies react to things differently and if there are long term affects for some I hope they get all the help they need.