• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Paul.
1. My guess is that numbers of newly infected people and number of deaths is diminishing because of the lockdown, not in spite of it. Surely this shows that the lockdown us working, although quite a few have not adhered to it.
2. The Govt said that 5 tests must be passed in order to ease the lockdown. One of the tests was that test, track and trace
would be operative, but it isn't.
3. As you know, the Govt is covering up again the number of people being tested.
They haven"t given this info for 7 days

I know I am transparently cynical of this Govt but I feel they have little idea about what they're doing, are making it up as they go along, and will say anything to gain some time. I don't trust their competence or indeed their honesty.
Mike

1. Elgin's point was lockdown isn't working, and has consistently been. For the last 3 weeks it has been much more widely blurred and for the last week, basically it has gone out the window. So far, this widespread ignoring of the lockdown hasn't seen a rise back in cases. As I said, cases are a 1/3 of what they were 2 weeks ago.
2. I share your concerns about T&T and even if the system works, post Cummins, it stands no chance of it being observed in a widespread way
3. I'm not sure where this info has come from. 127,722 tests were done yesterday, apparently.

I don't see how allowing 6 people to meet up is 'gaining time'. Gaining time for what?

If they said, right we think that in 4 weeks time enough will largely be enough, stick with the current rules for now, see 1 other person if you must but at the start of July we envisage you being back at work, schools fully reopen, furlough is going to be reduced but the quid pro quo is you can meet up again in groups and go to the pub - outside, then I think people would go along with it.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
People setting fire to our moors and heathland because they're too stupid and use portable BBQs or discard their lit cigarette. People urinating in public and worse defecating and leaving someone else to clear up after them. :(
Tell me about it. Just caught some prat in full lycra emptying his bladder against my back fence (we adjoin a public footpath). I asked him where he lived so I could return the favour.
Our local heath has been on fire twice in the past week - but it is like tinder, so so dry.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Big danger of falling between two stools.
We're already paddling in the brown stuff 😲

Colesman Ballz

Why do I feel that this decision is more about desperation by Boris trying to save Cummings neck, rather than being based on either science or economics. ? Obfuscation at it's worst ! 🤬

Antony Moxey

So now it's 3 SAGE scientists against easing lockdown measures too soon.

No doubt our Lockdown Doves will be along shortly to reassure us all.
Three against, how many for? Numbers like this mean nothing unless there’s context. If it’s three against and one for then maybe they have a point, if it’s three against and five hundred for then it‘s just a story for the sake of it.

Antony Moxey

Why do I feel that this decision is more about desperation by Boris trying to save Cummings neck, rather than being based on either science or economics. ? Obfuscation at it's worst ! 🤬
He doesn’t need to try though, does he? He either sacks him or he doesn’t, it’s not up to anyone else so how is he having to try anything?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
So, it's been announced that sport can restart from 1 June. That is good news, but I worry that people think that the pandemic is over.

Antony Moxey

I reckon they’ve been thinking tha5 ever since the idiot made his announcement about schools reopening to the youngest age groups.

IndoMike

"All five of the Government’s tests have now been met, meaning the UK will move to the next stage of lifting lockdown, Boris Johnson has said.

Announcing the changes, which will come into force from Monday, June 1, Mr Johnson said: “All five tests are being met. That's not my achievement, or the Government's achievement, it is your achievement"..

"Have been met" or are being met...?
The former means "already" and the latter means "in the process of"
Classic vagueness from Johnson
The fact is that the Govt's own 5 tests have not been met and that was the key to easing the lockdown. The contact tracing is not ready and insufficient testing has been done anyway.
The usual lazy, imprecise, anything will do
attitude from the Govt.
SAGE says that continuing with another 2 weeks lockdown will reduce the infection rate by 50%. Why can't we wait a bit longer?

Antony Moxey

"All five of the Government’s tests have now been met, meaning the UK will move to the next stage of lifting lockdown, Boris Johnson has said.

Announcing the changes, which will come into force from Monday, June 1, Mr Johnson said: “All five tests are being met. That's not my achievement, or the Government's achievement, it is your achievement"..

"Have been met" or are being met...?
The former means "already" and the latter means "in the process of"
Classic vagueness from Johnson
The fact is that the Govt's own 5 tests have not been met and that was the key to easing the lockdown. The contact tracing is not ready and insufficient testing has been done anyway.
The usual lazy, imprecise, anything will do
attitude from the Govt.
SAGE says that continuing with another 2 weeks lockdown will reduce the infection rate by 50%. Why can't we wait a bit longer?
‘We’?