• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
So now it's 3 SAGE scientists against easing lockdown measures too soon.

No doubt our Lockdown Doves will be along shortly to reassure us all.
No reassurances possible Elgy. Just a choice between which is the lesser evil option.

The scientists cannot be the only people to make decisions. The wider issues have to be taken into account as happens all the time in life.

Harsh Lockdown = saves lives (possibly) = trashed economy (certainly) = more poverty, social deprivation, more ill health and deaths (virtually certain)

Ease Lockdown while protecting vulnerable as far as possible = less damaged economy (certainly) = less poverty, less social deprivation, less ill health and less deaths (virtually certain)

IndoMike

Watched this on Friday and he did sum up things well, In fact virtually the whole programme was dominated by the DC Lockdown kerfuffle
... . which is much better for them than talking about the unnecessary deaths of tens of thousands of people .

DB9

... . which is much better for them than talking about the unnecessary deaths of tens of thousands of people .
Think you do HIGNFY a disservice Mike, Them and The Last Leg are really making their mark by keeping this lot in check, They are suppose to be light hearted programmes but they hit a chord with the public and do recognise the deaths/sacrifices people are making.

elginCity

No reassurances possible Elgy. Just a choice between which is the lesser evil option.

The scientists cannot be the only people to make decisions. The wider issues have to be taken into account as happens all the time in life.

Harsh Lockdown = saves lives (possibly) = trashed economy (certainly) = more poverty, social deprivation, more ill health and deaths (virtually certain)

Ease Lockdown while protecting vulnerable as far as possible = less damaged economy (certainly) = less poverty, less social deprivation, less ill health and less deaths (virtually certain)
Thanks for trying at least, Al. :D

Your 'Ease Lockdown' equation is missing ....'= greater risk of a second spike and its negative impact.' Serious omission that, Professor.

IndoMike

Think you do HIGNFY a disservice Mike, Them and The Last Leg are really making their mark by keeping this lot in check, They are suppose to be light hearted programmes but they hit a chord with the public and do recognise the deaths/sacrifices people are making.
I'm watching Good Morning Vietnam and totally missed the significance of HIGNFY. In fact I don"t even know what it is. I thought he was talking about Johnson and Cummings. 🙄

IndoMike

I'm watching Good Morning Vietnam and totally missed the significance of HIGNFY. In fact I don"t even know what it is. I thought he was talking about Johnson and Cummings. 🙄. I also have no idea what The Last Leg is . I live in Indonesia

DB9

I'm watching Good Morning Vietnam and totally missed the significance of HIGNFY. In fact I don"t even know what it is. I thought he was talking about Johnson and Cummings. 🙄
Have I got news for you (HIGNFY) is a very good weekly satirical look at the news on the BBC, Just like The Last Leg on Channel 4

IndoMike

Have I got news for you (HIGNFY) is a very good weekly satirical look at the news on the BBC, Just like The Last Leg on Channel 4
Oh. I think I know HIGNFY then . The other one I have no idea. Just watched Robin Williams nut a big redneck in a bar. Sorry for my misunderstanding : on a totally different wavelength

Rosencrantz

I would also recommend Charlie Brooker's Antiviral Wipe which should be knocking around on BBC iPlayer.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster

I am probably on the dovish side of the lockdown coin but what does trouble me is that the lockdown easing as currently happening isn't really doing anything for the economy. If it was 'all about the economy', more things would be allowed to open up and the 2m SD rule would be 'tweaked'.

At the moment, as far as I can tell, the country is largely on one long summer holiday, fuelled in part by the most simply incredible spell of barmy Mediterranean weather. With profuse apologies to all those who are keeping the nation fed, educated and serviced (to whom I continue to doff my hat), but overall an awful lot of people are not at work.

Everyone piling off to the beach, or having a picnic in the park (even if obeying the rules) is not doing much for the economy. Just eating / drinking what you would have done, somewhere else.

The rates are dropping. 8,000 cases a day sounds a lot, but that is extrapolated from 2,000 positive tests a day. Under 2 weeks ago it was over 6,000 actual so presumably, 24,000 a day as an extrapolated figure. They are though on the high side of where I expected lockdown to be loosened, but if that is the judgement so be it. I have respect for the views of the 3 scientists who are worried, but it is easier to voice worries now. If they are wrong, no-one will remember. If they are right, we are in a mess. There are also 40 odd on SAGE who haven't said they are worried.

What concerns me is the lack of linking of loosening with economic stimulation carrot/stick. Social interaction and mental health is very important but for me the balance feels a little out of kilter.

Anyway off to glare at the neighbours who currently have friends round for a BBQ...

Last edited: