• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have a query if anybody can help? During the lockdown I am aware that you are allowed to exercise outside your home such as go for a walk so long as it within walking distance of your home. I have not left my house / garden for 3 weeks now and am thinking about maybe going out on the streets for a walk. Keeping my distance from others of course. How far is too far? How far is reasonable walking distance?
When I go out its usually for about 45 minutes. A good walking pace would be around 3 mph so maybe a couple of miles?

IndoMike

Lockdown means I can spend a lot more time with my missus. Despite me being on the end of a thick ear from time to time, she is funny (both intentionally and accidentally) and we can have a good laugh. I don't feel stressed at all, but can understand why many will be, especially if they have been more directly involved.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
980 deaths announced yesterday. Looking at the press this morning they're inconsequential, though they're someone's Mum, or Dad, or son, or daughter, or work colleague, or neighbour or a friend. They matter, we should know their names.

Anyway good to know that Carrie has been sending Boris scans of their foetus.

Legohead

Banned
The UK death toll just seems to be staggeringly high every day. How do we compare to the likes of Italy, Spain and France? Why are the Germans under control to a certain extent?

Red Devon

A glimmer of hope from Matt Hancock talking on Sky News this morning....80% certain a vaccine maybe ready for those who need it by September after trials being done by scientists at Oxford University.

StroudGrecian

980 deaths announced yesterday. Looking at the press this morning they're inconsequential, though they're someone's Mum, or Dad, or son, or daughter, or work colleague, or neighbour or a friend. They matter, we should know their names.

Anyway good to know that Carrie has been sending Boris scans of their foetus.
You haven't looked at the Guardian then.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You haven't looked at the Guardian then.
It's the only one I've seen that seems to be interested in the human side of the pandemic.

Last edited:

geoffwp

The UK death toll just seems to be staggeringly high every day. How do we compare to the likes of Italy, Spain and France? Why are the Germans under control to a certain extent?
I believe the Germans have kept a lid on things because they have been much more on the ball with testing. They went the isolation route much earlier and started testing right away and regularly do over 100thousand swab tests a day where we are so woefully slow and only 'hope' to get to that level by end of month. Germany have tested well over a million now. They are better organised and spend more of their GDP on healthcare. Maybe they are able to do that because they aren't fixated at being a nuclear power and are happy to be a part of NATO without needing to prove they are a 'world power' on their own.

Red Devon

@IndoMike

IndoMike

A glimmer of hope from Matt Hancock talking on Sky News this morning....80% certain a vaccine maybe ready for those who need it by September after trials being done by scientists at Oxford University.
Unbelievable that you still believe what he says. All the expert say it will take a year at least to develop a vaccine, and even that it is a major achievement.
The man will say. anything to try to keep his critics quiet. He just doesn't learn.