• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Probably because they've been found to be fairly ineffective. Reduction of just 9% I think.
This article citing numerous studies suggest they're quite effective

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
This article citing numerous studies suggest they're quite effective

That's the thing with articles, you'll always find that dispels the other.

With masks and their effectiveness, that would also assume that everyone wears good ones and wears them correctly. In my observations over the past 18 months, I concluded that only about 3 in 10 people actually do. The rest may as well not bother. You can't tell me you've not seen loads of people wearing them under their noses!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
That's the thing with articles, you'll always find that dispels the other.

With masks and their effectiveness, that would also assume that everyone wears good ones and wears them correctly. In my observations over the past 18 months, I concluded that only about 3 in 10 people actually do. The rest may as well not bother. You can't tell me you've not seen loads of people wearing them under their noses!
Properly worn masks are fairly effective at protecting people from infection. That is surely not in dispute?

Antony Moxey

If you’re advised to wear one then why wouldn’t you? Everyone’s a medical and viral expert now, but the truth is we’re all clueless. You can do all the ‘research’ you want, but unless you’re qualified in that particular field who are you to peer review someone’s work and say they’re right or wrong? I’d suggest most ‘research’ is just confirmation bias and not actual research at all, and like I say, unless you‘re qualified you don’t even know what you’re researching.

So to repeat: if you’re advised to wear one, why wouldn’t you?

Mr Jinx

Properly worn masks are fairly effective at protecting people from infection. That is surely not in dispute?
Yes, but if everyone is forced to wear them again, and only 30% do it properly, then what's the point? Especially when probably most of that 30% are currently wearing them anyway.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Yes, but if everyone is forced to wear them again, and only 30% do it properly, then what's the point? Especially when probably most of that 30% are currently wearing them anyway.
The point is you’ve been ‘forced’ to wear one. Why would you not?

Mr Jinx

The point is you’ve been ‘forced’ to wear one. Why would you not?
Because there's little point...and round in circles we go....

Antony Moxey

Because there's little point...and round in circles we go....
You’re missing the point: if you’ve been told to, why wouldn’t you? I genuinely don’t get why it’s so difficult to do as you’re told.

Mr Jinx

You’re missing the point: if you’ve been told to, why wouldn’t you? I genuinely don’t get why it’s so difficult to do as you’re told.
I wear a proper mask properly, even now. When it was compulsory, most didn't wear a proper one properly. Why they couldn't do what I do - I can only assume that they couldn't give a tinker's cuss.

C j phill

Unfortunately, this seems to be society's psychology that has evolved over the last XX number of years.

Issues such as respect, principles and ethics have largely disappeared and there is now, no expectation that you should do as you are told, but simply do whatever you want, irrespective of how if might affect others. "As long as I'm alright, nothing else matters".

I cant see that we'll ever get back to having respect for authority and time soon particularly with the current crop of establishment figures.