• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well, this makes pretty damning reading
Thank fkuc for the FoI Act ( and no wonder the Tory "powers" want to remove our rights to access to truth)
Still, I guess you can still always instigate a "full and frank" enquire, as long as you then take care to stuff it with sycophants and toadies*
*See also Grenfell for further proof.
Not sure if this was the same one that the Government ignored in 2017 or a different one, That's the one with the "Sainted" Jeremy Hunt as HS who over the last 18 months told everyone what they should be doing while ignoring what he was told in 2017. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

angelic upstart

Interesting that last September there was 642 COVID deaths and this September we've had 4127.

tavyred

Interesting that last September there was 642 *COVID deaths and this September we've had 4127.
*WITH Covid deaths.
From memory infections were very low in August and September last year. Things then exploded as we went from the autumn into winter.
Saw Dr David Spiegelhalter on the telly the other day, he stated that the daily death figure is becoming less relevant at this stage of the pandemic as a certain amount of deaths WITH Covid are to be expected.

Alistair20000

*WITH Covid deaths.
From memory infections were very low in August and September last year. Things then exploded as we went from the autumn into winter.
Saw Dr David Spiegelhalter on the telly the other day, he stated that the daily death figure is becoming less relevant at this stage of the pandemic as a certain amount of deaths WITH Covid are to be expected.
While the points you make are good ones it is curious that with the protection of the vaccines the September death rates are so high compared with last year when there were no vaccines.

Mr Jinx

While the points you make are good ones it is curious that with the protection of the vaccines the September death rates are so high compared with last year when there were no vaccines.
Last year, we were all still pretty much living isolated in cardboard boxes. This is year is very different and not far off back to normal. Naturally, cases will go up. It's time to live with it as it's here to stay (despite what New Zealanders might tell you). Jabs don't stop you catching it, just reduce your chances of dying from it a bit. I think people made wrong assumptions on that front.

I expect numbers to increase further as the winter progresses and reduce once it gets warmer out and windows get opened again. And again the year after once new strains come into play. Been that way for many a century apparently. Whodathunkit.

Alistair20000

Last year, we were all still pretty much living isolated in cardboard boxes. This is year is very different and not far off back to normal. Naturally, cases will go up. It's time to live with it as it's here to stay (despite what New Zealanders might tell you). Jabs don't stop you catching it, just reduce your chances of dying from it a bit. I think people made wrong assumptions on that front.

I expect numbers to increase further as the winter progresses and reduce once it gets warmer out and windows get opened again. And again the year after once new strains come into play. Been that way for many a century apparently. Whodathunkit.
Things had pretty much reopened last year during July and August with Rishi’s eat out bribery. Maybe Project Fear was still having its effect though

tavyred

Fewer infections last year and the vulnerable still hiding away perhaps?
Hospitalisations are stable at around 7K I notice and as far as I’m aware this virus has become one that is effecting the unvaccinated primarily, couple that little or no restrictions then that might explain the death rate. I heard of a fifty something year old unvaccinated man passing away with it the other day after refusing to get the jab, no known underlying medical issues either. If your being unkind to this man you could say he was protected by others when they hid away last year, the moment the vaccinated ‘came
out play’ he was done for. Why wouldn’t you get yourself vaccinated? 🤷‍♂️
As Spiegelhalter says, at this stage of the pandemic the all cause mortality excess death figures are more important than ever to gauge the effects of COVID.

Antony Moxey

Things had pretty much reopened last year during July and August with Rishi’s eat out bribery. Maybe Project Fear was still having its effect though
Yes, with everyone masking up and no mass attendance events going on. Entry into anything and everything was heavily restricted and heavily conditioned. Last September wasn't anything like this September.

angelic upstart

*WITH Covid deaths.
From memory, it was indeed, October it really started kicking in. I recall Plymouth have extremely low levels of infections but still being under partial lockdown. I guess my question is, why aren't we still trying to slow the spread? Evidently people are dying at greater rates and we don't want to overburden the NHS when it starts really kicking in very soon. I'm not calling for lockdowns or anything like that, but perhaps a little social distancing wouldn't go amiss. The Govt seemingly have washed their hands of everything now and are focussing on the future, which is something I would largely encourage, but they still may need to doff their cap as the winter arrives. Particularly as some people haven't been subjected to various germs for the last 18 months

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
7 day average infections middle of September last year was about 3000, this year just shy of 30,000.