• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is this the same 'good old common sense' that saw 300-plus Tory MPs, most of 'em the wrong side of 50 and many of them obese, sitting shoulder to shoulder in a badly ventilated old building for most of yesterday?!
I thought nearly all restrictions were gone now? Not that it will stop pantwetters blowing a gasket...evidently.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought nearly all restrictions were gone now? Not that it will stop pantwetters blowing a gasket...evidently.
As I recall, we were able to lift the restrictions precisely because we could depend on individuals using their good old common sense.

There's a world of difference between, say, sitting outdoors at SJP and shoulder to shoulder for a period of seven or eight hours in an old poorly ventilated building like the House of Commons. The advice on the gov.uk website is pretty clear – you should endeavour to avoid such situations and if you can't you should wear a mask. What message does it send out if those responsible for these guidelines blatantly ignore them?

Moreover, these people are running the county. Given they struggle when they're 100 per cent fit, I'd suggest they have a responsibility to the nation to look after themselves as best they can.

Mr Jinx

What message does it send out...?
Just get on with your sodding lives perhaps?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just get on with your sodding lives perhaps?
I'm all for that, but you can still take sensible precautions. All the more so when that's what you're asking the rest of the country to do.

Do you always put your seatbelt on when you nip to the corner shop? Possibly not. Would you make sure you did if you were taking the M5 from, say, Exeter to Bristol? I imagine you would.

Mr Jinx

I'm all for that, but you can still take sensible precautions.
Yes you can, if that's what you want to do. But if you don't, then that's fine too.

Rosencrantz

Is this the same 'good old common sense' that saw 300-plus Tory MPs, most of 'em the wrong side of 50 and many of them obese, sitting shoulder to shoulder in a badly ventilated old building for most of yesterday?!
Of course you need to remember that staff inside the HOC's are required to wear face coverings but not MP's. So the staff are not allowed to use their common sense but Desmond Swayne is 🧐

Reactions: Egg

older-codger

Just when did MP's achieve common sense?

StroudGrecian

Don't confuse the government saying it is safe to lift restrictions with it actually being safe to do so - if I've learnt anything over the past 18 months it is that, with the notable exception of vaccine roll out, the government has had an almost perverse knack of making the wrong decision as far as the pandemic is concerned (and pretty much everything else too IMO).

There have been over 1.6m cases so far in the latest 'delta' wave in the UK, and numbers are rising steeply, by c. 25k+ daily. There are significant numbers in hospital with it again, and it's looking increasingly unlikely that we will ever reach 75%+ of the population getting the vaccine. Nevertheless, the government are pushing ahead with herd immunity, irrespective of what that means to the hundreds of thousands suffering from long covid, what it means to the likelihood of another virulent variant developing, and without much idea how we will ever re-integrate with covid-averse nations.

The current position of no restrictions whatsoever when schools return in September is bordering on being criminally negligent, and completely out of step with the rest of the world - levels in school-age children are significantly higher than they were this time last year, virtually no under 18s have had the vaccine, yet we all know what happened when the schools went back in Sept 2020.

So yes, nearly all restrictions have gone. But that is a measure of how little the government care about protecting UK citizens, not how safe it is.

Reactions: Egg

Mr Jinx

Just when did MP's achieve common sense?
Common sense to me is now just living with it. Otherwise we will all be wearing them for ever more.

Grecian2K

Otherwise we will all be wearing them for ever more.
What? Common scents??