• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Government claims they have the political cover for the perceived late restricting of air travel from India because they enacted the restrictions before the delta variant became a variant of concern and even a variant of interest. The elephant in the room of course is the type of communities these infections tend to get resolutely seeded in, I have family who live in a former Lancashire mill town and trust me they aren’t blaming Boris and his mates for the extension. As we found last summer too many in British Asian areas think this pandemic stuff is for other people and unfortunately if you’re not adapting your lifestyle to suit or can’t be bothered to get yourself vaccinated, then you will the weakest link in any country’s response.

Rosencrantz

The Government claims they have the political cover for the perceived late restricting of air travel from India because they enacted the restrictions before the delta variant became a variant of concern and even a variant of interest. The elephant in the room of course is the type of communities these infections tend to get resolutely seeded in, I have family who live in a former Lancashire mill town and trust me they aren’t blaming Boris and his mates for the extension. As we found last summer too many in British Asian areas think this pandemic stuff is for other people and unfortunately if you’re not adapting your lifestyle to suit or can’t be bothered to get yourself vaccinated, then you will the weakest link in any country’s response.
The real elephant in the Government's excuses is that they had already put Pakistan and Bangladesh on the red list. Both of them had a lower transmission rate at that time than India. But Boris had a gig lined up in India with Modi and delayed, crossed his fingers, ignored the data...before succumbing to the inevitable and cancelling.

It would probably have found its way in eventually, but not as quickly or in the same numbers. This delay is really self inflicted as there were plenty at the time warning about India including Labour this time.

There won't be any comeback if the July date is observed but he has painted himself into a tightening corner with his own back benchers, and you have to say the "freedom" fighters, when they have stopped chasing BBC reporters, are more likely to be Boris voters as well, scattered in with some Piers Corbyn like numpties. He will have little more room for manoeuvre before Steve Baker and co start really kicking off.

tavyred

The real elephant in the Government's excuses is that they had already put Pakistan and Bangladesh on the red list. Both of them had a lower transmission rate at that time than India. But Boris had a gig lined up in India with Modi and delayed, crossed his fingers, ignored the data...before succumbing to the inevitable and cancelling.
That’s the oft repeated accusation, difficult to prove though I’m guessing.
It might be me but it does seem lot of the opprobrium heaped on Boris is usually based around a fanciful conspiracy theory which is then seized upon with relish by the same Boris haters every time and then passed off as a truth.

Rosencrantz

That’s the oft repeated accusation, difficult to prove though I’m guessing.
It might be me but it does seem lot of the opprobrium heaped on Boris is usually based around a fanciful conspiracy theory which is then seized upon with relish by the same Boris haters every time and then passed off as a truth.
The facts are there to see.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/56801288.amp

More cases, more known variants and despite what Hancock said, more travellers from India testing positive arriving in the UK than from Bangladesh as per NHS Test and Trace.

So why the two week difference? It certainly is not following the stats. Variances on "fake news" won't wash every time.

tavyred

Despite probably having the broadest definition of a COVID death, the U.K. continues its downward slide down the deaths per million table. The U.K. currently lying in 19th place just above the US.

Alistair20000

I laughed reasonably hard reading today that Jason Rees Mogg has described Hancock (To55er) as a “successful genius”

Rosencrantz

I laughed reasonably hard reading today that Jason Rees Mogg has described Hancock (To55er) as a “successful genius”
I'm not sure if you are giving JRM a new nickname or JasonH 😉

Grecian2K

Given Lord Snooty's grounding in 'The Classics' are you sure it wasn't " from a succubus genus"?

IndoMike

I always suspected that Jason was Rees- Mogg. A Trojan horse 🙄

IndoMike

Whitty not very optimistic about the period leading up to Xmas. He also says he thinks it will take 5 years to discover a vaccine that will enable the country to "hold the line". Grim.